Dulce De Leche - Can I Make Ahead?

Baking By darjeelingjane Updated 22 Aug 2008 , 9:16pm by TexasSugar

darjeelingjane Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:33pm
post #1 of 5

i'm making dulce de leche - the boil in the can variety - and using it as a filling for a cake. i've never done this before and didn't know if i could make it ahead of time, say a day before i use it? does anyone have the answer for this?

4 replies
Monkess Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:55am
post #2 of 5

Is it not much easier to just buy it? You can get it easily in any Argentinian grocery store or even in major grocery stores. I use a Presidents Choice brand from Canada...wonderfull, rich..without the fuss!

MessiET Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 5

Nestle's also makes a dulce de leche. I have found it at Walmart, next to the condensed milk cans. HTH

tiersfromheaven Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 5

I always make dulce de leche in the can. Cheap, way easy and saves time by making ahead. And I store it in the same can unopened or up to three months in tupperware. I say 3 mos because if I don't have a cake order for it the family eats it in no time. It probably keeps longer.

TexasSugar Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 5

When I use it I always make it the day before so it has plenty of time to cool off. I usually do several cans at a time and I do save them unopened. The only issue I have had, after a couple of months, is the sugar at the bottom will crsytalize a little, but you can put it through a strainer and it is still good.

I also like the Nestle's brand and have been using it and like it just as much. It does save the 3 hours of cooking it and waiting for it to cool. Not sure what the price difference is though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%