Delivery Fee

Business By thecakemaker Updated 31 May 2008 , 12:29pm by drowsyrn

thecakemaker Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:18pm
post #1 of 13

do you charge a delivery fee and if so - how much?

I have a very small wedding cake to deliver almost 50 miles away. I usually include deliver within a reasonable distance for cakes serving over 100 but this cake is just a 6" and 8" stacked - i'm not quite sure what/how to charge for delivery.

Thanks!
Debbie

12 replies
something_sweet Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 13

I would charge $25-$50. If it were over 100 servings, as you stated is your normal policy, I would still have charged $25. But I think because it is so small, I would charge closer to $50. That would be 50 cents per mile, each way. I think that is reasonable with gas prices as they are!

ccr03 Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 13

If I remember correctly, the federal mileage reimbursement is $.52 a mile, so you can definitely use that.

Beckalita Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 13

For regular cakes, I charge a delivery fee based on mileage roundtrip. For wedding cakes, I will deliver free within 20 miles, over that then I charge mileage roundtrip. I do not allow customers to pick up wedding cakes.

Jenn2179 Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:35pm
post #5 of 13

I charge $.50 a mile round trip.

thecakemaker Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 13

Great! Thanks for your responses! For cakes for 100+ I deliver free up to 25 miles. This cake will be almost 50 miles for a cake to serve around 36. I'll go with the per mile to cover myself!

Thanks again!
Debbie

sweetcakes Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:13am
post #7 of 13

ive started to do the 50c a mile and then add $15 per hour of time it would take. what if i had to pay someone to deliver for me, it would be miles plus time on the clock.

thecakemaker Posted 7 May 2008 , 1:02pm
post #8 of 13

I charged 50c per mile and a few $$$ for tolls - I think she was expecting more. . . Next time i'll know.

Thanks everyone
Debbie

pastrylady Posted 7 May 2008 , 1:11pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

ive started to do the 50c a mile and then add $15 per hour of time it would take. what if i had to pay someone to deliver for me, it would be miles plus time on the clock.

Right...don't forget to charge for your time. If you only charge for mileage you are giving them the delivery service for free.

As an aside, I probably would not offer delivery on such a small cake. Since I work alone, to take several hours out of my day to deliver a cake 50 miles away means I may have to turn away other work. I'm not sure it'd be worth turning away other work for a cake that size. But, of course, that all depends on your workload and how your business it setup.

indydebi Posted 8 May 2008 , 10:42am
post #10 of 13

I deliver free within a certain radius, but outside that radius I charge $1.25 per round trip mile, based on Mapquest. This covers my gas, wear and tear on the van, and since my staff is paid from the time they walk into the shop to load the van to the time we return to the shop after the event to unload and clean-up, this also covers their drive-time. (If you had an employee who did nothing but deliver your cakes, you'd pay him for the 1/2 hour it took him to get there and you'd pay him for the 1/2 hour it took for him to get back to your place, PLUS the cost of gas, etc.)

So for your 50 mile trip, I'd be charging a $75 delivery fee. When people balk at "$75 to deliver a cake that small????", you can tell them that it costs the same amount of gas to get there and back, no matter if you have cake for 10 or cake for 1000 in the back of the van. The person making the delivery gets the same pay, no matter if they are delivering cake for 10 or cake for 1000. It's called overhead.

If they don't want to pay it, they are welcome to pick it up and be responsible for it during the 50 mile drive and set up.

thecakemaker Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:03pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks! I certainly didn't charge enough this time - but I will next time!

Debbie

ladyonzlake Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:07am
post #12 of 13

I charge $35 for the first 10 miles and $1 per mile after that based on oneway. Yes, you do have to pay for your time in the delivery fee.

drowsyrn Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:29pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckalita

For regular cakes, I charge a delivery fee based on mileage roundtrip. For wedding cakes, I will deliver free within 20 miles, over that then I charge mileage roundtrip. I do not allow customers to pick up wedding cakes.

I like that policy of not letting customers pick up wedding cakes! I may have to start that. BTW, your pictures are great Beckalita.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%