How Do I Make A Fondant Bow For Cake Topper And....

Decorating By cakelovincrazy Updated 8 May 2008 , 1:50am by cakelovincrazy

cakelovincrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelovincrazy Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 4

I'm new to decorating cakes and this past weekend was my first experience with fondant for my daughterâs 3rd birthday. I made a two layer square cake with polka dots and I wanted it to look like a birthday present with polka dots and a big bow on top. Well, the polka dots turned out ok, but I wasnât able to make the bow for the top. The individual pieces that I was folding were very flimsy and wouldnât hold its shape. Iâm not sure if it was the technique or if the fondant wasnât prepared properly. I made a marshmallow and powdered sugar fondant. It seemed ok, was stretchy and didnât tear, so Iâm really confused now.

I also was wondering how you keep the corners of the cake from having the extra fondant when you cover it. When I laid the fondant on top of the cake the corners had extra fondant, so I tried cutting some off but then I had a seam and couldnât smooth it out. I ended up covering the corners with polka dots, so only a very observant eye would see the flaw. Iâve looked at many other fondant cakes and I donât see the same problem I had, so I know there must be a way to fix or prevent it.

Ok just one more question, for now anyway =) How do you keep the cornstarch from showing up on the fondant? I used very bright colors like pink, purple, green and etc. When I rolled out the fondant I was told to use cornstarch to keep it from sticking (which didnât seem to work very well) and the cornstarch left a white powder all over the fondant. I tried scraping it off, but then the colors looked faded. Next I just got my fingers wet and wiped it off which then I found out the water leaves oily like marks.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Iâm very excited about using fondant and I definitely get inspired after seeing all the beautiful fondant cake pictures on here, but wonder if Iâm in over my head being a beginner with cake decorating and maybe fondant is for the experts.

I just noticed you could add an attachment, so I will try to attach a picture of my cake. Please, any suggestions or advice on the cake would be wonderful. I have thick skin and really want to learn how to make beautiful cakes. =) icon_confused.gif
LL

3 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:20pm
post #2 of 4

Hi there, first of all I have to say that your cake is gorgeuos. You have done a good job.

Here is a link from Cake Boss, to make a fondant bow.

http://www.cakeboss.com/fondantbowtutorial.aspx

ANd here is another link from aine2's blog, on how to cover a square cake,

" rel="nofollow">

I think you can use a brush to take away the cornstarch/powdered sugar from the fondant.

HTH.

cakenewbiekgm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenewbiekgm Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 4

Here is a youtube video of a square cake being covered in fondant. I think it is in fast forward just for timing purposes - if not she is REALLY fast!! HTH

cakelovincrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelovincrazy Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:50am
post #4 of 4

Thank you both for the suggestions and web sites. I'm really excited to try again! =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%