Somewhat Odd Question

Decorating By Mike1394 Updated 6 May 2008 , 12:46pm by KHalstead

Mike1394 Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:23am
post #1 of 9

I was wondering about colors. Has anyone used, or heard about anyone using, Crayola markers? See I said it was an odd Q? LOL I did check the Crayola site. The most it says is they are non-toxic. It doesn't say they are food safe. If a three year old eats a marker though they have to make sure they don't get sick. I'm just thinking how many different avenues this would open if it worked.

8 replies
springlakecake Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:41am
post #2 of 9

I doubt someone would get SICK, but just because it is non-toxic, doenst really make it edible.

I think I would just stick with the edible markers.

HerBoudoir Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:45am
post #3 of 9

"Won't kill you if you eat it" doesn't mean "ok to eat it" :=)

Yeah, stick with the edible markers...

elainec Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:56am
post #4 of 9

Noy sure about markers, but people doe use the crayola chalk for decorating gumpaste. Just crush, mix with a little lemon extract or vodka
and paint.

FromScratch Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:20pm
post #5 of 9

Yes, but that makes the gumpaste work non-edible. You should only used things that are marked food safe on items that are to be eaten.

crisseyann Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:22pm
post #6 of 9

Does anyone ever actually EAT gumpaste? I thought it was quite a hard substance.

HerBoudoir Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:23pm
post #7 of 9

Whether or not they eat it, gumpaste IS edible. (Sort of like Wilton fondant icon_wink.gif)

FromScratch Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:43pm
post #8 of 9

My kids like gumpaste.. you just have to let it sit on your tongue for a minute and it will soften up. It's not going to chip a tooth or anything unless you tried to chomp on a big ball of it that was 100% dry. I make Nic Lodge's gumpaste and I think it tastes like a Necco Wafer. Not the yummiest candy, but not horrible. icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:46pm
post #9 of 9

my in laws LOVE gumpaste.........and actually the black and white topsy turvy cake in my photos...the girl that ordered said everyone was fighting over who got to eat all the plaques and stuff.....and she was talking about the adults, not the kids!!! I kinda think it's just the novelty of eating something that looks like something else (ie. flower, bows, etc.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%