What's Your Best Scratch Cake Recipe??

Baking By doublecz1103 Updated 28 Nov 2008 , 10:03am by JanH

doublecz1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublecz1103 Posted 6 May 2008 , 4:43am
post #1 of 10

i've never been a box mix girl.. i'm all about scratch cakes... and i just wanted to see what everyones favorite one is.. thought it might help me with some new inspiration..

9 replies
jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 6 May 2008 , 4:52am
post #2 of 10

My triple vanilla cake is my fav recipe. hmmm my coconut rum cake too. icon_biggrin.gif

I have never done box mixes. I didnt even know that bakers did that until I found that out on cake central. I always have done my cakes from scratch. Not that doing the box mixes is wrong. I think its just never been for me.

HMMM... I wonder what the percentage of people who do scratch cakes versus box cake mixes is.

doublecz1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublecz1103 Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:15am
post #3 of 10

oooohhhh triple vanilla... would you share that with me.. my husband is the BIGGEST vanilla lover i know. he goes crazy over my vanilla.. i couldn't imagine what he would do with a triple vanilla lol. i was suprised as well when i joined this site about the box vs scratch thing... i guess it would be quicker and easier.. but to me it's just not the same! lol icon_biggrin.gif

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:26am
post #4 of 10

okay.. I would also like to see you triple vanilla recipe please?? with sugar on top?? icon_lol.gif

One of my fave's is actually for cupcakes but it is from Bobby Flay...
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_36750,00.html

The recipe may look a bit daunting but it really isn't and it's REALLY worth it!! The mango buttercream is just fantastic on the ginger cupcake!

Kim

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 10

This is my favorite:
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5173-5-Simple-Yellow-Cake.html
But I beat the sugar and shortening for 4 minutes before adding the rest (per Alton Brown thumbs_up.gif ). I just made it this week with some butter flavoring and rum flavoring-very yum but next time I will add more, need more of that rum flavor!!

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 10 May 2008 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 10

ohhh , so sorry I havent gotten back to you all with the recipe. My hubby has been sick and I have a cake due tomorrow. I post the recipe right after I deliver the cake tomorrow. Thanks!!

shaloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaloop Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:53pm
post #7 of 10

just found this and wondered if you may have posted the recipe somewhere?

Deniro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deniro Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 8:37pm
post #8 of 10

Tres Leches Cake!!

Niliquely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niliquely Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 3:38am
post #9 of 10

I was a die-hard cake mix girl until I tried Alton Brown's yellow pound cake - it turned out perfect and tasted WAY better than a mix. Plus, it was great for carving!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 10:03am
post #10 of 10

Here's a link to pages of CC member contributed "best" scratch cake recipes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-440803-.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%