"ohhh... But The Cake Is So Sweet!"

Decorating By nefgaby Updated 20 May 2008 , 3:35pm by mrsw

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 15 May 2008 , 5:55pm
post #31 of 77

cake - sweet= bread
cupcake-frosting=muffin
butter cream- sugar = crisco

So if it's something less sweet the customer wants give them a piece of bread, a muffin and a spoonful of crisco, oh and don't forget to throw in a birthday candle, make sure its one thats less "waxy"icon_lol.gif

CranberryClo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CranberryClo Posted 15 May 2008 , 6:06pm
post #32 of 77

Those of you talking about oreos should try this:

http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/01/wafer-wonderland/

It's like an oreo for grown-ups and it's divine!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 May 2008 , 6:09pm
post #33 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstrulytx

cake - sweet= bread
cupcake-frosting=muffin

So if it's something less sweet the customer wants give them a piece of bread, a muffin and a spoonful of crisco, oh and don't forget to throw in a birthday candle, make sure its one thats less "waxy"icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif A classic!! I Luv it!!

dtart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtart Posted 15 May 2008 , 6:20pm
post #34 of 77

Ditto! yourstrulytx
I love this thumbs_up.gif I think this might be the only time I've ever wanted a tatoo!

cakecastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecastle Posted 15 May 2008 , 6:26pm
post #35 of 77
Quote:

cake - sweet= bread
cupcake-frosting=muffin

LMBO icon_lol.gif I love it! I can't count the times I've heard my dh or my il's say "it's too sweet" and it tick's me to no end! icon_mad.gif I just might try this next time....let's see how they like that icon_biggrin.gif . Either that or they can get off their arse and make it themselves!

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 15 May 2008 , 6:42pm
post #36 of 77

Who in their right mind would scrap the icing off of Oreos?! icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif I buy the doublestuffed Oreos.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 15 May 2008 , 6:51pm
post #37 of 77

ha ha ha I used to eat the filling and not want to eat the cookies (my mom would make me, or she wouldn't let me eat Oreos at all)

Emmerdoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmerdoo Posted 15 May 2008 , 6:52pm
post #38 of 77
Quote:

cake - sweet= bread
cupcake-frosting=muffin

Ok, seriously, that owns me. In my sick and twisted humor filled mind, I have never thought of it that way. I may need to put that in my contract and tell the complainers that is what they get if it is too sweet.

Happy Caking,
Em

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 15 May 2008 , 6:58pm
post #39 of 77
Quote:

cake - sweet= bread
cupcake-frosting=muffin

LOVE this response! icon_lol.gif

twooten173 Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:03pm
post #40 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

that's why i use the WBH house BC. it's not as sweet. everyone likes it here.

Ok i'm sure I should know but I don't... what's WBH house BC?

yourstrulytx, you are my she-ro!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:10pm
post #41 of 77

Double Stuff??? EEEEEEEEEEEW!!! icon_wink.gif

I used to give my brother the 1/2 with the cream filling. I can eat them whole dipped in milk sometimes.. I actually prefer the Back to Nature brand "oreo" cookies.

I do think that there is a fine line between just enough sweet and too sweet.. it's hard to dance on it at times.

twooten173 Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:18pm
post #42 of 77

"Back to Nature brand of Oreos"... you are joking right. What do they put in them? Tofu? You sound like a health nut. icon_cry.gif

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:21pm
post #43 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by twooten173

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

that's why i use the WBH house BC. it's not as sweet. everyone likes it here.

Ok i'm sure I should know but I don't... what's WBH house BC?

WBH is whimsical bakehouse. their website is whimsicalbakehouse.com.

twooten173 Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:27pm
post #44 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by CranberryClo

Those of you talking about oreos should try this:

http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/01/wafer-wonderland/

It's like an oreo for grown-ups and it's divine!!!

Curse you for posting this... now I'm off to the grocery store to find these wafers! icon_biggrin.gif

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:28pm
post #45 of 77

OK, that was funny, Yourstruly. icon_lol.gif

And this chick over here gladly scrapes the icing off Oreos. icon_redface.gif Double stuff....double barf! icon_razz.gif

I'll give you the icing, you give me the cookie part.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:35pm
post #46 of 77

I'm a sweets addict, if they made triple stuffed oreos I would buy stock in them!
For me there is no such thing as "too sweet"!

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:37pm
post #47 of 77

Oh i feel your pain. The 'it's too sweet' phrase is used alot at my inlaws. My father in law almost always feels the need to point out that most of what i make is too sweet. He has even gone as far, to have my MIL ask me to make my thanksgiving pie with the crust on top instead of my usual crumble topping. Yet he is the first to say, "i always have to have something a little sweet after dinner. Just a square of chocolate or something." Huh!! As others have mentioned..maybe it's a european thing. They are european. I try and not take it too personal anymore, but it does push my buttons each and everytime he brings it up. Kinda insulting because it seems most don't have bad things to say about my baking. Goes to show you, you can't please everyone.
suz

twooten173 Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:46pm
post #48 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

And this chick over here gladly scrapes the icing off Oreos. icon_redface.gif Double stuff....double barf! icon_razz.gif

I didn't say anything about sharing my Oreos! That's the only boxed cookie I will eat. Try to take any part of them and you will draw back a nub! icon_twisted.gif

For us oreo lovers, have you tried the oreo truffles? They are to die for - especially with double stuffed oreos.

terrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrier Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:57pm
post #49 of 77

Hi here is the WBHB recipe... I did post it in the recipe forum but it never came up and then when I tried again it would not let me.icon_cry.gif

YUMMY YUMMY!

Whimsical Bake House Buttercream
In Mixer bowl, stir together:

6 Cups Confectioners' Sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract

Using whip attachment, add and whip on low speed:

1 cup boiling water (3/4 cup on hot days)

Whip until smooth and is cool.

Add and whip until smooth again:

2 3/4 cup Hi-Ratio* or regular vegetable shortening
6 ounces (1 1/2 sticks) butter; slightly chilled and cut into 1" pieces

Turn up mixer to medium-high. Whip until double in volume and is light and fluffy. About 10-20 minutes. Recipe will almost fill a 5-quart mixer bowl when done.

Makes 9 1/2 cups

For chocolate Buttercream exchange 1 cup of icing sugar for powdered Cocoa.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 15 May 2008 , 8:44pm
post #50 of 77
Quote:

Quote:

I didn't say anything about sharing my Oreos! That's the only boxed cookie I will eat. Try to take any part of them and you will draw back a nub! icon_twisted.gif

I just laughed out loud. I love that someone else uses that. That's a favorite phrase of my friends and I. hehe icon_lol.gif

Please...you can have the oreos!

Now what's in an oreo truffle? Are they dipped in chocolate?

twooten173 Posted 15 May 2008 , 8:59pm
post #51 of 77
Quote:

It's oreos ground up - with centers and all icon_biggrin.gif - mixed with cream cheese and covered in chocolate. I can only eat two of them but man are they good. They are very rich!

FromScratch Posted 15 May 2008 , 10:32pm
post #52 of 77
Quote:

"Back to Nature brand of Oreos"... you are joking right. What do they put in them? Tofu? You sound like a health nut. icon_cry.gif

icon_confused.gif Gee thanks.. they aren't made of Tofu.. they have the same amount of calories as regular oreos.. just no transfats.. we started eating them before the whole move to everythng being no transfats. It has an ingredient lable I can read and not need to use my class time in bio-chemistry to know what I am eating.. I like that. I just like to avoid the preservatives and chemicals if I can.. and still preserve taste. I think they taste better than oreos.. at least the middle part.. the cookie is the same.

I am so not a health nut.. we eat butter and bacon and all that jazz. I just like to buy the stuff that doesn't have anything added into it that it doesn't need. No tofu for this beeotch. icon_wink.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:15pm
post #53 of 77

I am so not a health nut.. we eat butter and bacon and all that jazz. I just like to buy the stuff that doesn't have anything added into it that it doesn't need. No tofu for this beeotch. icon_wink.gif[/quote]

Butter is healthy!!! What are you talking about???
I am actually going to try to find those. My DD and DS LOVE yummy things that are too sweet (they get it from me! Thanks for that tip!

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:44pm
post #54 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrier

Hi here is the WBHB recipe... I did post it in the recipe forum but it never came up and then when I tried again it would not let me.icon_cry.gif .

Thank you so much for posting this. So this one isn't over the top sweet? Sorry I'm one of those people that doesn't like sickly, feel like my teeth are going to fall out sweet, but believe me I love sweets!

Try not to take it personal when someone says that It's not an insult to your skills, just a testament to their taste. What's funny is mine have changed with age, I use to love Mountain Dew, now it just taste like syrup to me, strange.

twooten173 Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:27am
post #55 of 77

Sorry jkalman for talking about your tofu oreos icon_lol.gif . I'm actually game for ingredients that you don't need a PhD to read. However, I think some things taste better with the stuff I can't pronounce - for example, the Kraft Catalina French Dressing. The new stuff sucks and I told them so. Sorry I went off on a tangent.

In any event, I think it's odd when people say cake, cookies, etc are too sweet. We use "sweets" as a synonym for baked goods. Duh...

mommyp... I'll be waiting for your verdict on the tofu oreos.

FromScratch Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:49am
post #56 of 77

Don't worry at all. I wasn't *really* offended.. icon_biggrin.gif I had a good chuckle hearing the words health nut and my name in the same sentence though.. icon_lol.gif

The natural oreos are really good. I wouldn't eat them if they weren't. Their chocolate chip and "nutter butter" type cookies are good too. I hate Chips Ahoy cookies and most other store bought chocolate chip cookies, but the Back to Nature brand is actually pretty good.

I agree that with somethings you just can't match the flavor without the bad stuff.. and we eat things that aren't all natural sometimes too. I love me some Cinnamon Toast Crunch.. and Cheetos.. we just don't eat them too often. icon_smile.gif

I swear to you though.. on the life of my gumpaste lilac icon_lol.gif.. the "tofu oreos" (that aren't really made of tofu at all) are one thing you don't miss the bad stuff in one little bit.

I don't mind things that are sweet, but I am a savory snack kind of a person. I'd rather have chips/veggies and dip than cookies/cake anyday.

twooten173 Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:18am
post #57 of 77

CranberryClo,

Holy cow I found the Nabisco Chocolate Wafers at a local store (called around). I am going to pick them up in the morning so I can make this cake ASAP.

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 17 May 2008 , 8:50pm
post #58 of 77

I've really gotta stop trying to figure out what a post is about just by reading the subject line...I was picturing a conversation with a client, "I really shouldn't spend this much...but this cake is really sweet (as in awesome)!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:18pm
post #59 of 77

Wow - so many replies since I last checked! I wonder why CC is not sending me e-mail notices when new posts are added ... anybody having the same problem?

Anyway, now is OREOS! I love OREOS! Thanks for the link to that recipe!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:42pm
post #60 of 77
Quote:

Quote:

It's oreos ground up - with centers and all icon_biggrin.gif - mixed with cream cheese and covered in chocolate. I can only eat two of them but man are they good. They are very rich!

I've made these before and they are BEYOND YUMMY!!! Try next time to mix a bit of Bailey's irish cream, or amaretto in with the ground oreos - of course, strictly adult treats at that point, but mmmmmmmmm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%