"ohhh... But The Cake Is So Sweet!"

Decorating By nefgaby Updated 20 May 2008 , 3:35pm by mrsw

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:58pm
post #61 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by awolf24

ha ha ha I used to eat the filling and not want to eat the cookies (my mom would make me, or she wouldn't let me eat Oreos at all)

HAHAHA not so long ago I told my son that exact same thing. He doesn't like chocolate icon_surprised.gif so that's what he would do. I would find scraped oreo's in the garbage.

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 19 May 2008 , 8:00pm
post #62 of 77

When making frosting that uses confectioners sugar, I replace part of the confectioners sugar with flour. People always comment on how delicious my frostings are and how they aren't too sweet. For instance, my cream cheese frosting calls for 4 cups of confectioners sugar. I add 3 cups of confectioners sugar and one cup of flour.

HTH,
Lazy_Susan

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 19 May 2008 , 8:00pm
post #63 of 77

Did miss the link for the oreo truffle recipe? If so can someone post it again? Thanks!

cakeflake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake Posted 19 May 2008 , 8:45pm
post #64 of 77

lazy_susan, I had to jump in here. Did you say you replace part of your sugar with flour? What kind of flour do you use and do you mix it any different? Does it pipe and smooth the same? Hmmm... intriguing I'd kinda like to try that I think. Does it change the texture? It seems like it would make it more gummy or something icon_confused.gif And here's another vote for the tofu oreos- they are yummy indeed.

Emmerdoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmerdoo Posted 19 May 2008 , 9:01pm
post #65 of 77

Ok, may I be the forum moniter for a second - CC's own version of "The Church Lady" if you may. You can call me "The Forum Lady". icon_biggrin.gif

We started off with a completely innocent post - talking about how cakes can be too sweet to some people and you girls got off track and started talking about Oreo's, Booze, and "Natural" food and stuff. I hope you know that "The Forum Lady" is sitting here shaking her head. Who is making you girls come up with this stuff...maybe SATAN!!!! icon_evil.gif

And you girls didn't offer "The Forum Lady" any of your boozy cookie truffles. I am heartbroken and angry icon_cry.gif . How now will I bring this post back to it's innocent nature? icon_confused.gif

Happy Caking
Em "The Forum Lady"

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 19 May 2008 , 10:33pm
post #66 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefgaby

Thanks for all the replies, I love all the different opinions and suggestions!

I do know overseas everything sweet is less sweet than in America, I am a naturalized American myself, I was not born here in the US, so I guess that is the reason why it frustrates me even MORE. My cakes are doctored up cake mixes, so to be fair, I call them half scratch half cake mix icon_lol.gif (makes me feel better about my baking) ... and I do cut down the sugar on most of them!

Anyway!!!! Will try the WBH buttercream, I've heard so much about it and I have the book icon_razz.gif Thanks!

Oh Christi, I'll bake you a cake!!!!! You know what I would LOVE to try?!? I want to send a cake on the mail to see how it travels, just for fun, but I would love the oppinion of a PRO with pics and everything, as I want to see all the before and after shots! icon_biggrin.gif

I wasn't getting any alert icon_cry.gif

k send it to.... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I would love to have cake... icon_biggrin.gif

Now I have to go read everything I missed icon_eek.gif

wgoat5 Posted 19 May 2008 , 10:36pm
post #67 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

JKalman, you sound like me. I'm not an icing person at all. Even as a kid, I scraped the stuffing out of oreos, twinkies, etc. OK, I'm weird! icon_lol.gif

YES YOU ARE WEIRD icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

lol Scraping out the oreo and twinkie filling?????? Oh bag it up and send it my way icon_lol.gif

wgoat5 Posted 19 May 2008 , 10:40pm
post #68 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by CranberryClo

Those of you talking about oreos should try this:

http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/01/wafer-wonderland/

It's like an oreo for grown-ups and it's divine!!!

OHHH my word... I've died and gone to Heaven!!!!!!

Thank you my friend icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Posted 19 May 2008 , 10:41pm
post #69 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Double Stuff??? EEEEEEEEEEEW!!! icon_wink.gif

I used to give my brother the 1/2 with the cream filling. I can eat them whole dipped in milk sometimes.. I actually prefer the Back to Nature brand "oreo" cookies.

I do think that there is a fine line between just enough sweet and too sweet.. it's hard to dance on it at times.

Jeanne I thought you were weird but now I KNOW you are LOL

OHHH My.. icon_biggrin.gif (ya know I just wuv ya icon_smile.gif )

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 19 May 2008 , 10:56pm
post #70 of 77

I wuv ya too.. you can have the filling from my oreos anytime. icon_wink.gif

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 20 May 2008 , 4:18am
post #71 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefgaby

Thanks for all the replies, I love all the different opinions and suggestions!

I do know overseas everything sweet is less sweet than in America, I am a naturalized American myself, I was not born here in the US, so I guess that is the reason why it frustrates me even MORE. My cakes are doctored up cake mixes, so to be fair, I call them half scratch half cake mix icon_lol.gif (makes me feel better about my baking) ... and I do cut down the sugar on most of them!

Anyway!!!! Will try the WBH buttercream, I've heard so much about it and I have the book icon_razz.gif Thanks!

Oh Christi, I'll bake you a cake!!!!! You know what I would LOVE to try?!? I want to send a cake on the mail to see how it travels, just for fun, but I would love the oppinion of a PRO with pics and everything, as I want to see all the before and after shots! icon_biggrin.gif

I wasn't getting any alert icon_cry.gif

k send it to.... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I would love to have cake... icon_biggrin.gif

Now I have to go read everything I missed icon_eek.gif

You got it girl! thumbs_up.gif I want to try sending it Priority with hundreds of fragile / this side up signs all over the box! icon_lol.gif I'll PM you! icon_wink.gif

Oh and I'm glad I am not the only one not getting the alerts, I've been missing out on so much! icon_mad.gif What's up with that?!?

One more thing... just have to ask... 6250 posts?!? icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif Do you ever sleep? icon_lol.gif

wgoat5 Posted 20 May 2008 , 10:11am
post #72 of 77

LOL YES I sleep ... between 10:30 and 4:00 am icon_biggrin.gif .. too much to do tooooo little time icon_lol.gif

icon_smile.gif

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:30pm
post #73 of 77

Ok... tried the refrigerator cake - after hunting down the chocolate wafers. Everyone loved it. If you don't like sweet sweets, make this!

For you nuts who don't like the cookie part of the Oreos, buy the white Oreos. They are delicious and I'm hooked on those too.

Oreo truffle recipe:
8oz cream cheese softened
36 regular Oreos
dipping chocolate

Ground the Oreos in a food processor very fine. Mix Oreos and cream cheese. The instructions say to make about 1 inch balls with the mix and then dip it in chocolate. I use 14.4 oz og double stuff Oreos because I like to use chocolate molds. I coat the inside of truffle molds with chocolate, pipe some mix in with a decorating bag, and then cover the top with chocolate. I like using the doublestuffed ones because its creamier and pipes easily.

Oh yeah, I didn't get any alerts either.

wgoat5 Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:33pm
post #74 of 77

That sounds delish icon_smile.gif

Did you just LOVE the refrigerator cake or was it just so so?

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 20 May 2008 , 2:53pm
post #75 of 77

I loved the cake as did everyone who tasted it. I was asked to make another for someones birthday. The icing has very little sugar so taste the icing before putting it on the cake. Oh and it was ridiculously easy.

wgoat5 Posted 20 May 2008 , 3:21pm
post #76 of 77

Ok great.. cause it looks DARN good...

course I can't eat much sugar anyways.. so not to much sugar would be better for me...

and this would be mine LOL j/k

mrsw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsw Posted 20 May 2008 , 3:35pm
post #77 of 77

I have made the Oreo truffles before using the "Philly Cheesecake" The were a hit! Very rich I agree. I can't wait to try that Icebox Cake - it looks so fun.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%