Is There A Creamy Not Sugary Buttercream That Will Hold Up

Baking By lainalee Updated 6 May 2008 , 9:12pm by melysa

lainalee Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:09am
post #1 of 7

I need a nice and creamy buttercream that i can use in the summer for a outdoor wedding. It will be in a tent but who knows right. The bride has tasted my regular buttercream that is a cooked base of milk and flour, then added to the shortening butter combo and powered sugar then blended in. The problem with this is that it is so light and creamy although delicious, it just wont hold up to any type of heat. I have explained this to the bride but wondering if anyone has a good one that I can try.

6 replies
JanH Posted 6 May 2008 , 6:12am
post #2 of 7
melysa Posted 6 May 2008 , 6:27am
post #3 of 7

this one is really worth trying. its a swiss meringue buttercream which is very stable, less sweet and very very good, packed full of flavor. you can also look for an italian meringue buttercream recipe, supposedly a tad more stable than swiss, but the end result in taste and texture is about the same, just a different cooking method. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6927-1-Very-Vanilla-Swiss-Meringue-Buttercream.html

emerald_eyez Posted 6 May 2008 , 6:32am
post #4 of 7

icings in general don't hold up all too well in heat...however, if you want a light icing that will hold up...try the wilton recipe...which is as the other person here sudgested a shortening based icing...
i believe it's

1 cup veggie shortening
1tbs marang powder
2 tbs milk or water...however milk or soy milk will make it creamier
1tsp clear flavoring of your choice
1lb sifted poudered sugar

this will make about three cups a double batch will obviously make six...but what i do is use 2tsp water for every cup to thin it out...it actually makes it not so grocery store sugary and because of the marang(excuse my bad spelling) powder, it should form a decent crust to prevent melting. if you make the icing thinner..it make take longer to dry...if not icing...have you considered marshmallow fondant? it tastes better than other fondants and might hold up...sorry about the book i wrote..lol...i hope this helps

melysa Posted 6 May 2008 , 6:48am
post #5 of 7

is she open to fondant? you could do a smbc or imbc with fondant over that and it will hold WELL. satin ice is a great brand. www.satinfinefoods.com for info and a great place to buy it www.intotheoven.com

lainalee Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for all the help everyone. Did I mention that this will be my first wedding cake? She finally just completed her order yesterday for a June 7 wedding (very laid back bride). I almost fell off my chair when she said it was an OUTDOOR garden wedding. icon_surprised.gif She must have noticed the look on my face casue she said "Oh we have tents!" The venue is at a botanical garden located on an island, and only has allowed a few weddings, but the owner knows the couple. Oh Great! They have no experience either. Well, after this one I should qualify as a seasoned vetran.
Ok, I feel better, thanks for letting me vent.
As for the recipies, I am going to make a few to sample. Thnaks again. But unfortunalty, she does not want fondant. She thinks it looks to formal.
Is it just me or, ISNT A WEDDING FORMAL! icon_confused.gif

melysa Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 7

good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%