What Did I Do Wrong???

Decorating By Cakey1865 Updated 13 May 2008 , 12:21am by michellenj

Cakey1865 Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:49am
post #1 of 10

Ok so I made my mom a 70th birthday cake that was suppose to be topsy turvy it was suppose to be 3 layers. It was vanilla cake and she insisted on having chocolate pudding as filling. Well I gott all the layers ready to start stacking well I put all three together and the bottom one completly fell to peices I had all the plates and support dowels in the first and second layers then i said ok 2 layers will feed everyone so I take the top and middle layer off and the bottom layer had turned to mush. WEll then the second layer started collapsing. Luckily we cut it before it fell to peices completly. So anyone have any ideas what I done wrong? Please help...
Thanks,
Jodi

9 replies
kansaswolf Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:26am
post #2 of 10

I'd be putting money on the pudding having soaked through the cake... Did you ice the inside with BC before adding the pudding? That might help the soaking part... Well, for next time... icon_sad.gif

Hope it at least tasted good! Sounds like a yummy combo!

playingwithsugar Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:36am
post #3 of 10

I agree, and say it was definitely the pudding which made the cake crumble.

My Opinion - Pudding is yummy, but not something I would ever put into a cake. Pudding needs to stay cold to stay intact. If it gets warm it will separate, i.e. liquid and solids, especially if you use instant pudding.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:41am
post #4 of 10

There is a custard recipe I have used online using instant pudding...but its thicker than regular pudding and I think you use whipping cream in it as well. I would not put just regular pudding in, it would need to be at least as thick as pie filling for a cake.

kansaswolf Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:52am
post #5 of 10

True, a custard filling would give you a similar taste and texture, but wouldn't make your cake crumble...

MacsMom Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:17am
post #6 of 10

I had this happen to me, too, because my cake was too moist. Thankfully I had baked two batches of cakes and was able to cut off the bottom and replace it with a longer-baked cake (I noticed it before I put the fondant on).

Lesson learned: Top-heavy topsy's need a strong bottom layer.

I usually add melted chocolate to my batter to acheive a sturdy cake, but I couldn't find the almond bark I always use (Wal Mart stopped carrying it) and I didn't have time to go to another store for white chocolate with my 2 kiddos in tow. I will never again make a carved cake without adding chocolate!

Cakey1865 Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:25pm
post #7 of 10

Thats what I was thinking also it did taste wonderful together though...lol
Macs mom you said you add chocolate to yours how much and how do you do it melt it before hand or just let it melt while it bakes.
Thanks to everyone,
Jodi

MacsMom Posted 6 May 2008 , 4:16pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiav

Thats what I was thinking also it did taste wonderful together though...lol
Macs mom you said you add chocolate to yours how much and how do you do it melt it before hand or just let it melt while it bakes.

I like almond bark because it melts more smoothly in the microwave, but I can't find it now!

Anyway... I use the basic WASC recipe for all of my cakes, changing cake flavors, extracts and other minor substitutions to suit the cake flavor; so for the entire 2 box recipe I melt 12 oz of chocolate in the microwave (chocolate chips or white chocolate uness you can find almond bark). It works great!

MacsMom Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:17pm
post #9 of 10

I forgot to add...

I let it cool a bit and then mix in a little warmed batter to prevent lumps (that would form by adding hot chocolate to cold batter).

michellenj Posted 13 May 2008 , 12:21am
post #10 of 10

Next time, mix the chocolate pudding with some cool-whip or whipped cream to make it lighter, then make a dam and put it between the layers. Should work like a charm. It's not quite a pudding, but not quite a mousse, either.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%