Easiest Way To Create Intricate Characters/ People On Cakes

Decorating By Katied75 Updated 6 May 2008 , 4:34pm by MikeRowesHunny

Katied75 Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:23am
post #1 of 8

What is the easiest way?

I know you can use color flow, but my Wilton instructor tonight said that is better for less intricate designs. If I wanted to do do a character with many different colors, or even just tinkerbelle or a characiture of a person, what is the best way to do it (outside of airbrushing which I can't yet do)?

If you have any cakes to show me, so much the better.

7 replies
Kavingate Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:14am
post #2 of 8

Chocolate transfers are perfect for this type of thing. Here's an example:

I have a tutorial on my Flickr site here:

I believe that there's a tutorial or two here on CC. If you do a search for "chocolate transfer", you should be able to find something. Feel free to PM me, if I can be of any help.

msthang1224 Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:33am
post #3 of 8

Thanks kavingate, your cakes are beautiful!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:57am
post #4 of 8

thanks kavingate. that was a fairly easy to understand tutorial. lovely cakes!

Bellatheball Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 8

kavingate, thanks! So you use all chocolate for the designs? It is possible to do the outline in chocolate and do the color in either colorflow or royal icing?

Kavingate Posted 6 May 2008 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 8

Glad to be useful! Thanks for your kind comments about my cakes, too! icon_smile.gif

@Bellatheball- I've never tried combining the two, but I suppose you could give it a shot, though I'm pretty sure that the royal or color flow would be unhappy with the contact with the chocolate, and would dissolve because of the oil.

clopin0 Posted 6 May 2008 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 8

I've used colorflow for more intricate designs and haven't had a problem yet. The pirate Mickey Mouse was my first color flow piece and, in my opinion, I think he came out pretty well. I think Tink would be even easier.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 6 May 2008 , 4:34pm
post #8 of 8

I second the chocolate transfers, I use them on nearly all the kids cakes I do, feel free to look in my photos for examples! The key to intricate designs is to use a very fine outline using slightly seized chocolate, or it will spread into a too thick a line. I have a whole set of photos to send to Heath to put up a fully explained tutorial, but have yet to do it - sorry! I promise I will soon!

Quote by @%username% on %date%