Working With Cake Dummies

Decorating By vteventrider Updated 8 May 2008 , 2:55am by tonedna

vteventrider Posted 5 May 2008 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 17

Because of the cost of ingredients I wanted to get some dummies to practice on so I don't keep spending money making cakes. So I have a few questions. If there is already a thread to this I would welcome any and all links to it.

1. What sizes do you all recommend?
2. What shapes?
3. How best to cover them so I can do BC or fondant and then take it off and start over?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

16 replies
karateka Posted 6 May 2008 , 8:24am
post #2 of 17

I'd get some basic rounds, such as 6,9 and 12, all 4 in tall. Maybe also some squares in common sizes like above.

I don't cover mine with anything when I decorate them. I just apply the fondant or buttercream, decorate. When I'm ready to wash it off, I just put them in the dishwasher. Works well. (I got that tip from B. Keith Ryder...)

BigTexinWV Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 17

My instructor always covers her dummies with a light rub of crisco to fill in any small dents or anything. She told me that she just washes them off. I guess you could put them in the dishwasher. I am unsure if they would melt, but if others but in the dishwasher then I guess I will try.

poshcakedesigns Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 17

I cover mine with a light layer of criso before putting fondant on and I don't put anything under when I got to ice with BC - After the photos are taken I wipe the icing / fondant off and I to put mine in the dishwasher to clean off the grease.

I also use both sides of my dummies to decorate (1 dummy = 2 different cake styles)

CelebrationCakery Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 17

These are great I need help to know how the heck do you all keep them in place when decorating....mine are always sliding all over the place while I try to cover them.....I have tried double stick tape but it did not work either....

Katie-Bug Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:51pm
post #6 of 17

Me too!! Mine are always sliding around and I'm trying to hold with one hand and frost with the other. I tried a supre glue like apoxy and it melted the foam... icon_redface.gif [/quote]

vteventrider Posted 6 May 2008 , 7:47pm
post #7 of 17

Thank you all so much for the tips. I really appreciate you advice.

joy5678 Posted 7 May 2008 , 3:58am
post #8 of 17

Double sided tape may work.

tonedna Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:13am
post #9 of 17

yes just some tape will work..even some duct tape will do!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

lardbutt Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:50am
post #10 of 17

Where have ya'll found the best and CHEAPEST place to buy them? Can you get something similar at Michael's? Or do you really need to buy cake dummies?
TIA, MessyBaker

tonedna Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:04am
post #11 of 17
lardbutt Posted 7 May 2008 , 6:44am
post #12 of 17
Originally Posted by tonedna

Go there ...they are cheap!

Thanks for the link. I just placed an order for a round set and a square set! Yeah!!!!!!

tonedna Posted 7 May 2008 , 8:13am
post #13 of 17

You welcome! icon_lol.gif

BigTexinWV Posted 7 May 2008 , 1:14pm
post #14 of 17

I use a pin that I poke though the cake board into the cake dummy from underneath then I tape the sides of the cake board to the cake turn table.

I don't use icing to hold my cake dummy on the cake board.

I also buy my dummies from dallas foam, but since I have family in the Dallas area when I go for a visit, I stop and buy them then. Most of the ones I get cost under a $3. And that is CHEAP!!!

vteventrider Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:31pm
post #15 of 17

Wow, Thanks for all this great information. Now I just need to figure out how to order a set without DH knowing I spent more money.

lardbutt Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:00am
post #16 of 17
Originally Posted by vteventrider

Wow, Thanks for all this great information. Now I just need to figure out how to order a set without DH knowing I spent more money.

My order was only $21.69 and that was a round set and a square set of 6,8,10,12 with shipping.

I ordered form dallas-foam where tonedna suggested.......Thanks tonedna!

tonedna Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:55am
post #17 of 17

Dallas-foam is really good messy baker and they are reliable!...I like them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%