Help With Store-Bought Icing

Decorating By aswartzw Updated 6 May 2008 , 6:21pm by aswartzw

aswartzw Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 12

I offered to make my dad's birthday cake only to find out he wants store-bought chocolate icing! icon_surprised.gif I was so annoyed but that's what he wants so that's what he'll get. What a great way to get back into cakes after a 2 month interlude.

Anyway, I hate icing with store-bought icing. It never works for me. I also was wanting to try a FBCT (but I'm making my own icing for that). I don't think it crusts so is it a hot-knife method? Any experience? I could really use some help!

11 replies
JoAnnB Posted 5 May 2008 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 12

most of it does not crust, much. The surface can dry, so don't wait to smooth it.

aswartzw Posted 5 May 2008 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnB

most of it does not crust, much. The surface can dry, so don't wait to smooth it.

That's what I was afraid of! icon_confused.gif And my mom thinks he's making it easier for me!!!!

cakebaker1957 Posted 5 May 2008 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 12

has he even tried homemade Chocolate? There is no comparising

diane Posted 5 May 2008 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 12

i usually add some powdered sugar to it before icing...makes it easier. icon_wink.gif

msthang1224 Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:37am
post #6 of 12

I use store bought icing and I've never had a problem and I don't add anything to it either. The only thing I do different is when I ice my cakes they are cold. Don't know if this will help you or not.

aswartzw Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:12pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

has he even tried homemade Chocolate? There is no comparising

He's wanting the same cake his grandma always made down to the very same cake mix she used. She made one every Sunday for as long as I can remember and the memories outweigh the homemade stuff.

Since it seems like the majority have had pleasant experiences with store-bought frosting, I'm feeling better now. I guess I'll start with a hot knife and sees what happens. I'm a bit afraid of adding more sugar since it's already so sweet but I might! I love my sweet stuff!!

msthang1224 Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:37pm
post #8 of 12

Good LUCK, i'm sure he will love it icon_smile.gif

lilyanddayne Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:41pm
post #9 of 12

put the can in the microwave for 10 or so seconds (WITHOUT THE LID OR FOIL OF COURSE)
it will be soo easy to spread and if you get it a little warmer, it actually pours like a ganache. I have poured onto a cold cake and it kind of stays where you pour it...like to make it look like it was perfectly drizzled.

tonedna Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:51pm
post #10 of 12

Wich one are we talking about...isnt store bought icing already too soft? ..Why the hot knife?
Edna

MegWinn Posted 6 May 2008 , 4:03pm
post #11 of 12

I actually added a bag of melted chocolate chips to some store bought icing as a "tester" and it was pretty good (NOT as good as my ganache) and it gave a firmer texture to the icing. Also adding powdered sugar would work to make it crust but would make it super sweet.

aswartzw Posted 6 May 2008 , 6:21pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Wich one are we talking about...isnt store bought icing already too soft? ..Why the hot knife?
Edna

I was thinking to get it perfectly smooth that a hot knife would be the best option but you might be right in that it's soft enough I can get it smooth without. It's been so long since I've used it and even then I never tried to get it smooth.

I like the idea of the chocolate chips and also melting it to pour. I might end up doing something like this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%