Can Wasc Be Another Flavor??

Decorating By jessieb578 Updated 7 May 2008 , 1:35pm by jessieb578

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 18

I know it sounds funny, but I think the texture of the WASC cake is perfect! I wish all my cakes had that density and texture.

Has anyone changed the flavors around in that cake and see what happens? For instance what if I used chocolate mix and instead of the almond extract I use raspberry extract? Would this work?

Is this really a customizable recipe? I'd love to hear what people have done. I've never been one to change any recipe, I go by the book, so I'm nervous to just give it a shot!

Thanks everyone!!

17 replies
wendalynn11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalynn11 Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 18

I used a yellow mix last time and added one egg yolk, the taste was great but it was lighter than regular WASC and therefore harder to stack and to deal with. I have experimented with using different flavorings instead of almond with good success. I hope others have more answers as I have thought this same thing.

jessieb578 Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 18

wow, ok, so you've used different extract flavors and had success, that's great to know. I don't really want to mess too much with the eggs and such, but being chocolate requires a whole egg, maybe it wouldn't work as well??

Hmm.....I'm not too good on the science aspect of it.

CristinaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristinaB Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:43pm
post #4 of 18

You can make WASC with any flavored cake mix and any flavored extract (that would taste good with that cake flavor, that is!). I always use just vanilla in WASC because I don't like almond and it tastes great! I've made it with chocolate (yum!), butter pecan, yellow and carrot cake mixes and they're all yummy! The original recipe (not sure where it came from, but I'm pretty sure the complete version is on this site) has suggestions on flavors and extract uses. It also suggests liquers as flavorings and using flavored coffee creamers in lieu of some of the water. Possibilities are endless! Just experiment and see what you like best! You can't really go wrong with this recipe. It makes everything taste better and have a better texture!

As for your egg question, the chocolate with whole eggs comes out just as yummy. I use whole eggs unless I want it completely white. The amount of eggs is reduce when using whole ones (it's also discussed in the recipe). I use whole eggs regularly and it still is great!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:44pm
post #5 of 18

If you do a search, you'll find lots of WASC variations. You're not the only one who loves it! thumbs_up.gif

CristinaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristinaB Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:50pm
post #6 of 18

Here's the link to the recipe I use:

www.recipezaar.com/69630

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 5 May 2008 , 8:42pm
post #7 of 18

Thanks for the link, I've been wanting to try this recipe. I love all the variations that this one has! icon_smile.gif

jessieb578 Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:46pm
post #8 of 18

WOW!! That's exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks so much for that. I'm always so nervous to experiment, I don't know why, it's only cake icon_lol.gif

Thanks again...you've really opened up a lot of ideas to me!

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 6 May 2008 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristinaB

Here's the link to the recipe I use:

www.recipezaar.com/69630

hehehehe......that's the one I used as well! I need to try all the variations she lists!

anku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anku Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:43pm
post #10 of 18

I did the strawberry version and instead of Strawberry juice as recommender I addes Strawberry milk!! Yummy is all I can say. Great texture and even better strawberry taste.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 7 May 2008 , 2:47am
post #11 of 18

I even use two different brand mixes in my WASC recipe...usually one duncan hines white and one pillsbury or betty crocker yellow.

I also use four whole eggs and mostly vanilla and it comes out great. Everyone raves about this cake!

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 7 May 2008 , 3:13am
post #12 of 18

I love the white chocolate version of this cake it is wonderful!! Also I just did a white cake and substituted all the liquid for coconut milk and then added coconut extract with vanilla and then coconut torani syrup... if only I would've had shredded coconut! icon_cry.gif Oh I did add an extra egg, that just made it a little more dense, which is how I like it. icon_lol.gif You can also try a spice mix with apple cidar.. that is an awesome fall cake! I love being creative with this mix, it is sooo easy!

Kim

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 7 May 2008 , 3:41am
post #13 of 18

when doing the choc version i use one BC chocolate fudge and one DH dark chocolate, whole eggs, its a really good choc cake. even better the next day.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 7 May 2008 , 3:47am
post #14 of 18

I've made it with vanilla and cream bouquet flavoring. A lot of people I know don't like the strong almond flavor.

Likim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Likim Posted 7 May 2008 , 3:53am
post #15 of 18
chinadoll652003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinadoll652003 Posted 7 May 2008 , 3:58am
post #16 of 18

I just made this cake for the first time last night and I have to say the almond flavor was a bit overpowering.

Glad to know I can substitute other flavors.

Also, I have to make a castle cake next month for a three yr.old I'm using the WASC recipe but the father wants a chocolate pudding filling. My problem is the cake won't be refridgerated. Any ideas on a chocolate filling that doesn't need refridgeration?

Thanks for any help you can give.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:50pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadoll652003

My problem is the cake won't be refridgerated. Any ideas on a chocolate filling that doesn't need refridgeration?

Thanks for any help you can give.

If you create a new post, I guarantee you more people will see this and be able to help you. thumbs_up.gif Maybe Rich's Bettercreme would work?

jessieb578 Posted 7 May 2008 , 1:35pm
post #18 of 18

Wow Strawberry milk?? Spiced apple cider...omg....these are such great ideas! I'm definitely diving in to experimenting on this cake!! It really sounds so fun to try!! Thanks for all the suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%