Cake Topper - Help

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 9 May 2008 , 2:57pm by kimblyd

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 8

I want to make a cake topper for my mom's birthday cake. I'm scaling down the cake just b/c I don't have a lot of time once I get to Phx to bake and decorate. Initially I was going to do 3 tiers - top tier decorated as the Italian Flag to represtent our Italian Heritage, the middle tier done as Niagara Falls to respresent where my mom was born and lived for 45 years and then bottom tier to represent AZ, where they moved when they where 45. We are scratching the top tier so I thought of making a cake topper "75" (that's how old she'll be) in the Italian colors. What would be the best method to use to make this cake topper - Royal Icing, Chocolate, Color Flow, etc. Any advise and/or tips is most appreciative. I want the numbers to stand up on the top of the cake.
LL

7 replies
kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:38am
post #2 of 8

You could use an extruder to press out a "rope" of white fondant as thick as you want the numbers to be. Using your picture as a guide, bend and cut the rope to make the numbers. After they dry for a while, paint them with thinned icing color. Make sure you give the "paint" plenty of time to dry or the colors will smear. Hope this helps.

Trixyinaz Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:42pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks! That does help. How long does it normally take to dry?

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:49pm
post #4 of 8

If you do fondant, I'd definitely mix in some gumpaste or gum-tex to add some strength to it. I believe it will take a couple of days for it to dry.

I also think color flow would work great for it or thinned-down RI.

Trixyinaz Posted 9 May 2008 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 8

Cool, thanks. Maybe I'll try both and see which I like best. Color Flow/RI takes about a week to totally harden, right?

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 9 May 2008 , 1:27pm
post #6 of 8

I wasn't sure so I found this. All you ever wanted to know about color flow (and didn't icon_lol.gif )

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/icing/colorflow.cfm

Looks like 2-3 days also. I'm not sure I'm dedicated enough to do a heat lamp. Raises my energy bill. icon_lol.gif

Trixyinaz Posted 9 May 2008 , 1:32pm
post #7 of 8

hehehehe. I'll be in AZ making these so it's a natural heat lamp over there! icon_lol.gif

Thanks for your help!

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:57pm
post #8 of 8

The last time I used fondant I didn't add anything to it and it worked just fine, but I let it dry for over a week and then didn't put my accents on the cake until the last minute.

Another thought, if you decide to use the fondant you might want to push a paper lollipop stick in the bottom of each number and let them dry around it. It will keep you from having to push the numbers too far down into the cake and give them some support also.

The sticks might work with color flow and royal too, but I honestly don't know since I have failed miserably at both of those mediums. icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%