Idea For Husbands Homecoming From Iraq Cake

Decorating By Bigbearswife Updated 8 May 2008 , 3:33pm by mommyle

Bigbearswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bigbearswife Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 12

My husband is coming home from Iraq in a few months but i want to go ahead and get an idea of what i want to do for his cake when he returns.

He is a navy corpsman for the marines
A Vol- Firefighter back home
Loves Hunting and Paintball
Loves his Green Chevy S-10
Loves his Family and his 2 dogs

I've love a cake that includes a lot of the thing he loves, but i don't want it to look tacic or stupid. Any Ideas would be wonderful!

usaribbon.gif Angie usaribbon.gif
usaribbon.gif Proud US NAVY Corpsman Wife usaribbon.gif

11 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:46am
post #2 of 12

How intricate do you want to make this cake?

I would love to see someone make a cake (sorry if someone already made it, but I haven't seen it), which says

Trading Boots For Bedroom Slippers
Welcome Home (name of serviceperson)

and see hand-made combat boots on one side, and some corduroy bedroom slippers (for him), really cool boudoir fuzzy slippers (for her) on the other.

Short, simple, sweet.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:57am
post #3 of 12

What about decorating the cake in his color of camo, with gumball intballs, a gumpaste gunpropped on top and the inscription of
Welcome Home Hero! (which includes military and firefighter- Maybe written in the color of his fire uniform.

cakemommy75002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy75002 Posted 6 May 2008 , 4:25am
post #4 of 12

"Helipops" just recently posted this amazing cake...maybe it can help give you inspiration!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1211417.html

elainec Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:05pm
post #5 of 12

Sorry, above, I meant paintballs, Put colored gel under them for the splat of icing, the gun is a paintball gun, maybe a gumpast dog at the bottom edge of the cake! OH and congratulations! and please tell him THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart!!!!!!!!

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:51pm
post #6 of 12

I like both the boots for slipper and welcome home hero. I'm sure whatever you make him will taste like heaven just because he's home. Please tell him thank you from us for his service to our country!
usaribbon.gif Crissy

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 6 May 2008 , 10:37pm
post #7 of 12

I made one for a frined of mine, who also just got back from Iraq. He didnt want anything extravagant either. I made him a sheet cake covered in BC. I covered it with crushed grahams to make it look like sand. I got a small beach chair from a Barbie set, and also got a small GI Joe in camo. I stuck Joe in the chair and made him a little umbrella and a margharita out of fondant. On the side I wrote 'We are glad to get you back from the sand trap". He loved it!

elainec Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 12

I did like the last suggestion, also. However, I think Hero should be on there somewhere, as I feel that these men need to be reminded that
they are our heros and that their job is appreciated by all.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:16pm
post #9 of 12

I'd leave the Hero out of it.. most of our service men and women don't feel like heroes.. even though they are.. they see it as just doing their duty. I know my brother didn't like being called a hero when he got back from Iraq.. just something to think about. They know how much their job means to the world.

I love Helipops cake.. too cute! I'd stick with his favorite things and make a nice cake around those things. icon_smile.gif

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:18pm
post #10 of 12

I really like this cake, simple, but beautiful and you could even write something on the flag, or make the flag a little smaller and write something like Welcome Home, Thank you for defending our country! next to it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=48551

And here are tons more beautiful patriotic cakes that may lend you some ideas...

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=search&type=full&search=PATRIOTIC

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:31pm
post #11 of 12

I would think something with him driving his Chevy with the family (and dogs!) in the car would be great! Maybe driving along the beach or something. I know it has nothing to do with the armed forces but if I were coming back I'd want to think of happier times. If you really want something, you can always put him in camo and put a camo hat on the dog. Of course, unless it's a convertible, that idea may not work.

Or have a big paintball fight, of course, you'd be covered in more paint than him! icon_wink.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:33pm
post #12 of 12

Well, since it's your husband, what about the bed cake with two sets of feet sticking out of the bottom??? Dogs at the foot of the bed... Or two sets of feet sticking out of the rear window of the car??? When one of us are away for even a week we barely get back from the airport, never mind being on tour!
Being Canadian we aren't nearly as affected by the war, but none the less, we are VERY thankful for all of the men and women who are keeping us all free. Thank your husband and his friends for us too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%