Help - My Bc Is Cracking!!

Decorating By Reilly Updated 8 May 2008 , 6:13pm by Reilly

Reilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reilly Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 8

I'm having issues with my BC. It starts to crack once it sets. I use an equal amount of hi-ratio shortening and butter in the recipe. I usually put a crumb coat over the cake and chill it slightly before covering it with BC. Could it be too cold? It only seems to happen on sheet cakes. Could it be due to insufficient support? I would be grateful for any suggestions!

7 replies
holliewest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holliewest Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 8

I found my were cracking due to not enough support. I have tripled by cake board. Little more cost; but has helped.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 8

It might be the sheet-cake thing. I've found that the wilton boards don't hold up well to an actual iced and decorated cake. I even used two the last time, taped together, and it still bent on me after being decorated. icon_sad.gif So now I use either a cookie sheet or a cake base for it. More expensive, but worth it if the cake doesn't fall apart! LOL

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 8

Is it cracking all over or down the middle or in one place? If all over, the bc may be too dry, if down the middle or in one place I think it's a support issue - meaning you need a thicker cake board underneath.
Good luck!

Reilly Posted 6 May 2008 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 8

Audrey, It is cracking all over! If the bc is too dry, do I need to add more liquid to the recipe? Thanks.

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 6 May 2008 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 8

Maybe add some corn syrup? This will add some elasticity after the moisture from your liquid evaporates icon_smile.gif

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:35am
post #7 of 8

Since it's happening all over but ONLY happens on sheet cakes, I'm gonna stick with it being a support issue. What I mean by that is that the board underneath the cake needs to be thicker. Sheet cakes are notorious for this.

If you want to add more liquid to your bc, that would be something to test as well, especially if once you add more thickness to your cake board you find it still cracks all over. Then you know it's no longer a support issue but a bc that is a little too dry. The liquid you add can be water or milk, whatever you would usually use in the recipe, about a tablespoon to start. Then if it STILL cracks, maybe another tablespoon. By doing it this way you are sure to get to the bottom of the cracking issue!

I hope that made sense - good luck!

Reilly Posted 8 May 2008 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 8

THANKS so much! I greatly appreciate your advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%