Found Out A Nice Grocery Store Near Me Might Be Hiring

Decorating By Katied75 Updated 7 May 2008 , 9:26pm by CelebrationsbyLori

Katied75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katied75 Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 2

for part time cake decorators.

This is a smaller chain of nice stores... more family friendly and a good bakery department.

I'm on the fence about applying. On one hand I'm a stay at home mom right now, and my husband as a teacher will have his summers off. We have no obligations outside of family and it's nice. We have weekends and nights together (other than my cake decorating classes that I take). Being a stay at home mom, I'd have to work hours on either weekends or nights and it would take away from family time.

On the other hand, I love to practice decorating cakes, and I never seem to have enough time around here. If I only work 15 hours a week, that would give me 15 hours uninterrupted by kids and husband to focus on developing my cake skills. I'd certainly learn to get faster which I realllllly need right now. I'm incredibly slow since I'm a beginner.

I know it's a personal decision, but I'm debating in my head whether or not this is a job that I'd enjoy. Since I don't need the money (want it though, lol), and I will lose out on time with my family to work, I would really have to like my job to make it worth it. It would have to be something I almost look forward to, to get away from the routine with the kids.

What do you think you would do in my position? Keep practicing on your own whenever it can be fit in around kids, or apply for the part time cake decorators position? Those of you that have worked in a store doing cake decorating and liked your job, what was your typical day like and why did you like it? I appreciate the responses you gave me in my last thread asking about grocery store jobs.

Thanks.

Katie

1 reply
CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 7 May 2008 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 2

I have worked in a chain bakery, but I haven't been a stay at home mom, so here's the logical side of my brain taking over. How old are your kids? Would they have to be in daycare/ with a babysitter? Depending on how much you would be making, it may cost you money to work part time. However, it is good experience, it helps you work into more of an assembly line process of decorating which a lot of people have trouble with, they tend to want to decorate/ do one thing at a time. Multi-tasking is very important. This sounds like it would be a pretty low key place, inquire as to how many cakes on average they send out a week, as well as how many sell out of the pre-decorated selection. That way you'll know if you are getting eased into a killer situation.
JMO, Good luck either way!
Lori

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%