Need Help Making Handle!!

Decorating By diane Updated 12 Dec 2008 , 3:04pm by tonedna

diane Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 7

i am making a basket cake in two weeks. i want it to have an edible handle, but i'm not sure if i should use fondant or royal icing. has anyone ever made a handle?? i'm thinking if i do it out of royal icing, maybe it'll break when transporting it. if i do it out of fondant, will it be sturdy enough?? icon_confused.gif any help would be much appreciated! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Sarsi Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 7

Do you have a photo of the cake you're going to make?? I made a tiny basket out of royal icing (on the garden cake in my photos) and it was a pain.. I did it over wire, and it was just very hard to work with....

If you did it with fondant, I think it would be too mushy. I've had some fondant balls sitting on my counter for a month and they're still mushy... I need to throw them LOL... If you do want to use fondant, mix in 1/2 tsp tylose powder for every 1 lb of fondant. That will make it harden faster and harder. Or, you could use 50/50 gumpaste/fondant. That's what I would do icon_smile.gif

laurynrn Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 7

I would use 50/50 gumpaste and fondant for sure. I have to make a handle next week for a teapot and this is my plan thumbs_up.gif

dee-lite Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 7

I made a tea set with fondant handles for the pot and all of the cups and let them harden for over a week- luckily I made 3 tea pot handles and lots of cup handles because a few cup handles broke but all of the teapot handles broke icon_cry.gif (these were sort of a curling design and the curl was the stresspoint.I did a patch job and all was ok once the bc patch driede.Knowing that next time i will run a floral wire inside the pot handle. Hope that helps thumbs_up.gif

edibledesigns Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 2:53am
post #5 of 7

You dont have to use fondant or wire just use gum paste it's easier than fondant it dries very fast in min. insert a small spahgetti into the end and wet each side a little and wolla it's very easy, you gona love it.

dolcebaci Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 7

I make all my handles out of pastilage....I have yet to have a problem...much lighter then gum paste or fondant when it dries....

tonedna Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:04pm
post #7 of 7

You can put some wire in it to give it strenght..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%