Need Help On Making Handle!!

Decorating By diane Updated 7 May 2008 , 2:36am by tiptop57

diane Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 5

i am making a basket cake in two weeks. i want it to have an edible handle, but i'm not sure if i should use fondant or royal icing. has anyone ever made a handle?? i'm thinking if i do it out of royal icing, maybe it'll break when transporting it. if i do it out of fondant, will it be sturdy enough?? icon_confused.gif any help would be much appreciated! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
tiptop57 Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 5

It will need to be made out of gumpaste. Trust me on this one, everything else will break and I would even string it along on floral wire and remove the handle before cutting. If made properly you can have some of the wire hanging out and you can push them into straws you have inserted into the cake already for added support.
HTH

lorrieg Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:20am
post #3 of 5

I just made one for a purse cake (picture in my gallery) using gumpaste extruded through my clay gun. I ran my stitch wheel along to make it looked stitched. Then I shaped it on parchement paper and inserted toothpicks in each end so i could put it in the cake when it was dry. It worked perfectly.

fondantgrl Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:35am
post #4 of 5

Well I made this two weeks ago.. I used Fondant, but I made the handle a week and a half ahead so it will dry totally. I added short skewers at the ends so it will go deep into the cake and won't move.
LL

tiptop57 Posted 7 May 2008 , 2:36am
post #5 of 5

Yeppers Fondantgrl, just like my bamboo teapot handle I made three years ago. Yours turnout nicely. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%