Anyone Ever Use This Cake Decorator's Icing Recipe?

Decorating By cocobean Updated 5 May 2008 , 4:02pm by cocobean

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 3

I Saw this recipe for professional cake decorator's icing and wondered if anyone has used it:

1 c. solid Crisco shortening
1 tsp. bk. powder
1 tsp. cream of tartar
A little less than 1/4 cup warm water
Dash of salt
2 tsp. cream bouquet icing flavoring
4 1/2 c. sifted powdered sugar
1 egg white
Paste coloring (optional)

Mix first 6 ingredients together until creamy. Add pd sugar about 1/2 cup at a time until all is mixed in, beating after each addition. Beat well on high speed. Add egg white, a little at a time, beating well. Beat icing on high speed to induce air. Color, if desired.

This mixture keeps in the refrigerator for 2 weeks when covered tightly and freezes well, too. When a cake is iced, it is sealed and stays fresh for 4-5 days if filling is buttercream icing also.

What do you think? The baking powder and cream of tartar sound interesting! Love the cream bowquet in it.

2 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 3

I don't get it....if you beat all that air into the icing, it will not smooth very well. Especially with it having Crisco. The high melting point of shortening makes the hot knife technique hard to pull off.

But if you use a true buttercream with loads of real butter, it is too soft. Cripes....... and I'm sure someone here will have a cow because there is a raw egg in there, lol. Trying to find the perfect icing is so tricky! icon_confused.gif

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 3

...yes I wondered about the raw egg. Wonder if you could sub powdered egg white. Mix it into the pd. sugar? icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%