This Might Seem Like A Silly Question, But About Smoothing..

Decorating By DoniB Updated 20 May 2008 , 11:45pm by sugarshack

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 13

Okay... I've been decorating off and on for 25 years. Only recently have I been able to get my frosting really smooth.

Am I the only one that takes half an hour to get it just right, or am I just that slow??? icon_razz.gif The reason I ask... I've watched several videos recently, and they go over and over and over, but they speed the show up quite a bit while they're perfecting their smoothness.

See? Told you it's a silly question! I just want to know if I'm missing some vital step, or if it really does take that long to get a really flawlessly smooth cake? icon_razz.gif

12 replies
LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 13

I think smoothing a cake is the biggest PITA imaginable. I've tried method after method, changed recipes, crumb coated, hot knifed, paint scrapered - you name it. Some times it works like a dream, and then the very same technique on the very next cake will end up looking like junk. I spend more time on smoothing than I do on anything else and it worries me to death because I want it perfect.

You're not alone. I feel like I need a smoothers support group.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 13

Yes, it takes me FOREVER, but I noticed the biggest difference when I started sifting my PS and using Sugarshack's method for making icing...

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 13

I also think this is the hardest part. I have a frosting that everyone loves but it doesn't smooth well. The ones that smooths like glass, doesn't taste as good. So do we want the cake to look perfect and taste eh or look eh and taste perfect?

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah......figure out a way to make it do both. Look and taste perfect! *sigh*

LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 13

hello, my mane is lisa, i am a smooth cake addict...

but i cant always get it smooth as i would like. or if its smoth then i acidentally made the icing layer too thin and the cake shows through... icon_confused.gif then what, keep it smooth or add more icing so the cake doesnt show. and now that its getting warm outside...dont get me started!!!
ugh!
i want my old shortning back with the tranz fat... icon_cry.gif

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 13

I am extremely slow with leveling and smoothing. I really have to take my time. It has been my hope that I would increase my speed as time goes on.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:45pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetThereBeCake07

hello, my mane is lisa, i am a smooth cake addict...

but i cant always get it smooth as i would like. or if its smoth then i acidentally made the icing layer too thin and the cake shows through... icon_confused.gif then what, keep it smooth or add more icing so the cake doesnt show. and now that its getting warm outside...dont get me started!!!
ugh!
i want my old shortning back with the tranz fat... icon_cry.gif

Ditto to everything lisa said. I have sugarshack's video and I have incorporated some of her techniques but I can't do them all. It seems my icing crusts more quickly than hers.

My other dilemma. I ordered some Sweetex (which is what sugarshack uses) and it arrived in an unmarked tub. It seems that it is not sold in less than the 25 pound block so some distributors just scoop out 5 pounds and sell it to you. Well, whether I got Sweetex or not, I will never know but I DID NOT like it. It made the icing smooth for sure but it left a slime and a taste on my tongue that I did not like.

Lisa, I'm still using Crisco but have started adding 2 or 3 tablespoons of Dream Whip and it seems to give it a little more stability.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:53pm
post #8 of 13

icon_cry.gif Your not alone. I've been making cakes for over 10 years and buttercream still gives me fits. I'm to the point of going straight FONDANT LOl but my customers want go for it.

I'm my own worse critic so if it's not perfect to me then I think it's just ruined and I'll gripe and complain until it leaves the shop.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:06pm
post #9 of 13

Have you tried sugarshack's method? It's amazing! It used to take me forever too! Her method SEEMS like it would take even longer, but the first time I did it, it took about 20 min. icon_smile.gif

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 5 May 2008 , 7:37pm
post #10 of 13

I agree! Get sugarshack's Perfecting the Art of Buttercream DVD. I can get my cakes so smooth by using her techniques! Good Luck!

LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 19 May 2008 , 11:41am
post #11 of 13

What are some of the things she does? I did just try a little trick from her u tube video on making bc. I use my bc recipe but make it like her, i now warm my liquid and add things in the order she does, that seems to make a big difference. But im currious as to what else she does or wht other people do to make it smooth. I do the viva towel thing and have tried the foam roller too. Any other help beyond that?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 May 2008 , 11:51am
post #12 of 13

there's too much on that video to be able to sit here and type it out and even if we did you would have to see it to understand. Sugarshack's technique is not one I've ever seen before.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:45pm
post #13 of 13

I am slow too! Even after all those cakes! LOL

my technique IS a little wonky, LOL

but i start with really smooth BC
use a hot bench scraper for sides
measure the sides and make them level
use vivia
paper
smoother

works great!