I Have Some Questions About Truffle Filling... (Long)

Decorating By foxymomma521 Updated 6 May 2008 , 1:12am by foxymomma521

foxymomma521 Posted 5 May 2008 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 4

We are having a birthday party for 2 of my son's on Saturday, and I need to start now if I am going to make both cakes. I watched the latest Food Network Engagement Cake Challenge, and one of the fillings was Chocolate Truffle. After Googling it and reading several recipes, I think it is the same or very similar as ganache? I've made ganache before and love it, and I'm not sure if I just haven't found the right recipe for truffle filling icon_confused.gif
Also, I really want it to be White Chocolate Truffle filling, but would that taste bad? Should I just make White Chocolate Ganache? Is that possible, does it matter or is it the same thing but has a different name??
Sorry this is so long and sorry if my questions are dumb, but I REALLY want these cakes to be good, my last few attempts at decorating were AWFUL, and I just want to do a good job this time.
One last question, I want to make one cake White Chocolate with alternating layers of raspberry and white chocolate truffle filling. What do you think of the other cake being peanut butter with rich chocolate buttercream for the filling? Do you find most people like peanut butter, or should I pick something else? Thanks again!!

3 replies
foxymomma521 Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 4

Can anyone help, please?
Even if you could just weigh in on the peanut butter cake it would really help! icon_smile.gif

MOBOGAL Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 4

I'll weigh in, for what it's worth icon_smile.gif Personally, I love peanut butter, but I'd flip it icon_smile.gif I like chocolate cake with peanut butter filling (I'm not sure how I feel about peanut butter cake). I've made 2 different types of peanut butter filling and both times it was a big hit. But if you've got a great peanut butter cake recipe, peanut butter and chocolate is a no-miss combo.

I think the white cake/white chocolate truffle/raspberry sounds phenomenal. Did you see this recipe for white chocolate truffle filling? I think you're right...truffle filling is just a fancy name for ganache.

Hope that helps a little! Just my 2 cents

foxymomma521 Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:12am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for responding! I think I've decided to do the bottom llayer triple chocolate fudge, the top layer peanut butter chip, and the filling with chocolate peanut butter buttercream. The only reason I don't want to do all chocolate is because I HATE trying to ice a chocolate cake with white icing! Even with crumb coating, freezing and every other trick I still get some crumbs that show through icon_evil.gif
My last 3 cakes were awful, and I really want these to look good. Thanks again for the reply!

Quote by @%username% on %date%