When To Use Dowels?

Decorating By vctino Updated 5 May 2008 , 1:59pm by vctino

vctino Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:18pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a large sheet cake and placing the Mickey Mouse (1995) character cake on top of the sheet cake. I am wondering if this will be light enough that I won't have to dowel or should I just to be safe?

If I should dowel, how do I go about doing that with a shaped character pan? Do I trace the pan onto the cardboard and then cut it out?

Sorry if this is all "obvious" but I have never done a cake like this before! Thanks for the input!

7 replies
Amy729 Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:25pm
post #2 of 8

To be safe, I would dowel. And yes, just trace the pan. I don't like to take chances on something that I have worked so hard to create.

Good luck!

LetThereBeCake07 Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:37pm
post #3 of 8

i think it all depends... if both are single sheets then you would stack them as if you were making a two layer cake, its just that your top layer would not completley cover the bottom layer. Then you would not put anything between them or dowel it.

now, if the top cake is more of a stand up 3D then i would card/cake board and dowel it for security.

maisyone2 Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:37pm
post #4 of 8

If I am placing a character cake or any smaller cake on top of a sheet cake, I don't use dowels. Now, mind you...I'm talking the sheet cake is one layer and the smaller cake is one layer. This is no different than doing a two layer cake. Cake...frosting....cake. No need for dowels. If I am putting any cake with more than two layers on top of another cake, then I use dowels in the bottom cake. I do this kind of cake alot and I've never had a two layer cake sag and placing a one layer character cake on top of a one layer sheet cake is a two layer cake.

SE Michigan

DoniB Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:37pm
post #5 of 8

When I did my 'graduation' cake for my MIL (the carousel horse on a large oval in my pics), I didn't dowel... I iced the oval, then put the carousel horse cake right on top and decorated it. Now, I did this the morning of, and it was ready literally MINUTES before folks arrived for the party. Even then, it sagged just a bit in the middle by the time lunch was eaten and we cut the cake. So yeah... I'd dowel! LOL Even though you won't have as much of a problem with sagging as you would with a two-layer cake, it will look better all around if you do.

And yes, use the pan as a guide for the cardboard to put the character cake on. I trace around the cake pan, but don't add any, since the pan's lip is bigger than the actual cake. Your mileage may vary! But good luck!

aswartzw Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:43pm
post #6 of 8

I also wouldn't dowel. I only dowel if I've dealing with more than 3 layers of cake and it doesn't sound like you will be.

Amy729 Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:49pm
post #7 of 8

I was thinking it would be a 3D standing cake. Sorry, I am not familiar with the pans.
So, if you are using a character "sheet" type pan, then I wouldn't bother with doweling.

vctino Posted 5 May 2008 , 1:59pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks! Yes, this is a flat Mickey cake on a sheet cake, just like a two layer cake.

You guys are the best!

Quote by @%username% on %date%