Carousel Horse Cookie Pricing

Baking By eatdessert1st Updated 6 May 2008 , 6:57pm by cassman

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:33am
post #1 of 7

Had a referred customer contact me about doing cookies on a stick for party favors. She said she'd like carousel horses. The size of the cutter is
4" x 5.5". (She had some decorated cookies I had done for another customer for a baby shower and really liked them). She's balking at $2/cookie (including cellophane bag wrapping). Wants to bargain it down if it's smaller. Those babies look time consuming, to say the least. Really should have told her $3/cookie. I hope she sorta goes away. I'm really weary of customers like this.
Anyway... does anyone have any pics of carousel horse cookies? I found one beautiful one here but am having trouble finding some others for reference.
(please don't beat me up about my price... I'm aware I quoted her too low this time. I do more cakes than cookies so I get rusty on my price quotes icon_surprised.gif )

Thanks for any tips!
Melanie Mc.

6 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:54am
post #2 of 7

Why am I not surprised she's balking at the price? Sigh. These people have no idea!

For design inspiration, have you checked on-line for carousel horses? I also know that some Wilton Yearboooks have done simple carousel horses. I use a pattern I got from some clipart, but I haven't made any recently enough to have digital pictures. Hopefully, someone else will come thru for you.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 5 May 2008 , 1:14pm
post #3 of 7

Stick to your price. Don't start the slippery slope of "negotiating" prices with people.

Here are some carousel cookies I've done to maybe give you an idea. The first ones were for competition and the second one was part of a cookie platter I took to my neighbor kids for Christmas.

HTH,
Deanna
LL

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 5 May 2008 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 7

Oops, missed the second one....

Deanna
LL

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 7

OMG those carousel horses are too cute.

don't come down any more on your pricing. just because cookies are smaller, doesn't mean that makes them easier to decorate. if anything it's harder to put a lot of detail into a smaller cookie. stick to your guns

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 5 May 2008 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 7

Deanna, those are absolutely beautiful! I saved your pics to my file w/ your name on them.

Ladies, thank you for your replies! icon_smile.gif

Melanie Mc.

cassman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassman Posted 6 May 2008 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 7

Tell her that is the price and you won't do it for less. They look like a lot of work. She will never be able to find anyone else that will do it cheaper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%