Gumpaste Rose Leaves

Decorating By pjaycakes Updated 6 May 2008 , 1:31am by pjaycakes

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 5 May 2008 , 9:58am
post #1 of 7

I made some gumpaste roses to put on top of a cake. There will be about 4 of them. They are not on wires. Do I make the leaves right before I put the roses on the cake and just arrange them under the roses or do I have to make them ahead of time and let them dry first? Hope this makes sense to someone.

6 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 5 May 2008 , 10:01am
post #2 of 7

They don't take long to dry Patty.. just do um a few minutes before icon_smile.gif .. I don't have mine that I just made on wires either...heck I didn't even put calyxs on mine... I will just make leaves before I go to put them on icon_smile.gif

pjaycakes Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 7

Great thanks Christi.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjaycakes

I made some gumpaste roses to put on top of a cake. There will be about 4 of them. They are not on wires. Do I make the leaves right before I put the roses on the cake and just arrange them under the roses or do I have to make them ahead of time and let them dry first? Hope this makes sense to someone.

Make them ahead of time when you are making the roses. Get them out of the way. When it's time to assemble the cake you can focus on just that. Also, you can dry your leaves on flower formers to give them some dimension.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 5 May 2008 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 7

I, too, like to do whatever I can ahead of time. Just let them dry on crumbled alum. foil, this give a nice movement to them.

HTH!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 5 May 2008 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 7

Using pre-made leaves will save you time, but adding a few fresh (soft) leaves can hide spots that appear once the flowers are on the cake. This is a great technique for covering flaws as well. Since they are still soft, then they will fill in spaces more easily without breaking the flower or the leaf.

HTH

Michele

pjaycakes Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:31am
post #7 of 7

Thank you all for some great tips.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%