Cookies

Baking By Erin83 Updated 6 May 2008 , 12:32am by mgigglin

Erin83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin83 Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:05am
post #1 of 6

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this site (which I love). I have a question about freshness for decorated cookies. I have my son's birthday party and 2 graduations this month. I'm making cookie lollipops for my son's birthday party and cookie bouquets for the graduates and possible more for the graduation parties. The thing is I'm traveling 16 hrs by car to FL and plan on already have baked and decorated the cookies before the events. How long will the prepared cookies stay fresh and good before the events?

I can use any advice at this point. I'm starting to get nervous that they won't be how I've invisioned them to be.

Thank You[/list]

5 replies
mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:59am
post #2 of 6

Hi and Welcome!!

I make NFSC (no fail sugar cookies) and bake them on the sticks and freeze them for up to 3-4 weeks with no problems. I layer them between wax paper and let them thaw righ tin the tupperware. They are always fresh and taste great! Not sure what kind of icing you use but I have used Antonias RI and Satin Ice Fondant and both are yummy on the cookies!

NFSC=
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2055-0-No-Fail-Sugar-Cookies.html

RI
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1983-0-Antonia74-Royal-Icing.html

HTH,

Kim

Erin83 Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 6

Hi Kim,

Thank You for your help. That makes me feel a lot better. I have another question for you. Should I decorate the cookies then freeze them or vise versa?

Thanks,
Erin

paintinggrams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paintinggrams Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 6

Hi Erin, If you have the time it's better to freeze before decorating.( Just my opinion though) you can freeze after decorating but you really have to be careful when defrosting so condensation doesn't make your colors bleed. I've done them where condensation is a problem and then other times when it hasn't been a problem. Usually now if time prevails I freeze first and then decorate afterwards. Lynda

Erin83 Posted 5 May 2008 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 6

Hi Linda,

Thank You for your advice. I think I'm just going to make the cookies when I get to FL. That way I know that they'll be fresh and taste great for everyone!

Thanks Again,
Erin

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:32am
post #6 of 6

Hi Erin,

Sorry I sleep during the day! Hey I just wanted to get back to you.. I do all my baking and decorating before I freeze them. The catch is you have to let your cookies completely dry before you stack them. I usually let them sit out for the afternoon or day depending on the size of cookie. When I wrap them I put them layered between wax paper in a tupperware freezer container then put a layer of freezer saranwrap on top. I know... I double duty it... Then I just stick them inthe freezer for up to 3 weeks and they come out soft and yummy!! The key to defrosting is leave them in the container just sitting on the counter for an afternoon. That is all it takes! So technically they can defrost in the container while you travel, maybe. Just be carefull layering with the sticks.. that is tricky and you dont get as many cookies in the container. Good luck !! Can't wait to see the pics!

HTH,

Kim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%