If You Have Heb In Your Area

Lounge By Texas_Rose Updated 27 May 2008 , 11:44am by Scox

Texas_Rose Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:05am
post #1 of 8

If you have HEB in your area, here's something useful to know. If you find an expired item, you can take it and an identical one that is not expired up to the register when you check out, and you will get the one that is not expired for free icon_biggrin.gif You have to tell the cashier, and usually they have to call their supervisor over because they don't know how to do it...but it really works. It's not something that they advertise, but my sister got hired there as a cashier and she was told about it in training, so she told me and I've been doing it.

It's easiest to find expired things in the dairy aisle...Tonight I got a gallon of organic milk, an 8 pk of yogurt, a tub of sour cream, and a tub of cheese dip, all for free icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

7 replies
veejaytx Posted 5 May 2008 , 9:05am
post #2 of 8

I don't have HEB (liked them a lot when I lived in Austin) in DFW area, wonder if any of the other stores do the same thing...might be worth a try!
Thanks for the info.

punkinpie Posted 10 May 2008 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 8

I wish we had that here. Expired items are all over the place in the stores I shop at.

They do have a thing if you are charged more at the cash than than the shelf tag you get that item for free (up to $10). I've been able to get a couple of things free.

famousamous Posted 11 May 2008 , 4:00am
post #4 of 8

That is great to know! Thanks for the tip! Oh if the cashier dose not offer you the "wow" sale item when your checking out you get a free loaf of bread.

DianeLM Posted 11 May 2008 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

I don't have HEB (liked them a lot when I lived in Austin) in DFW area, wonder if any of the other stores do the same thing...might be worth a try!
Thanks for the info.

We DO have HEB! Central Market is HEB. I've never heard of this expiration date thing, but I have seen items past their date on the shelves at CM. Wish I had known this when I went yesterday!

Scox Posted 26 May 2008 , 1:55pm
post #6 of 8

I LOVE HEB! I lived in Tx my whole life and then got dragged up to WV by DH. =\\ It's not too bad up here, but I do miss my HEB,.....and Whataburger,.....and the beach,.... the sky,..... and the not so cold winters,..... driving past fields of bluebonnets,.......ok I'm going to stop now lol

lynda-bob Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:35am
post #7 of 8

Awww, Sorry Scox... I am Always saying that there is NO where I'd rather live than here!

Texas Rose, I tell everyone I know about this. Have known about it for years because one of my sister's friends husband did this as a "hobby" icon_wink.gif . I think he was retired or something. He'd go to different HEBs and look at all the meat. She said he'd get steaks and chicken and even got a Turkey once! icon_biggrin.gif

Scox Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:44am
post #8 of 8

Nice to know places like HEB still do their best to help their customers save. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%