What To Charge??

Business By doublecz1103 Updated 5 May 2008 , 1:24pm by FromScratch

doublecz1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublecz1103 Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:46am
post #1 of 3

a friend of mine asked me to make a cake for her mom for mothers day. she wants a basket weave cake full of flowers with lemon filling.. pretty basic.. but i don't know what to charge her!! she also needs it to feed like 14 people.. do you think 8 in square is enough or should i do a 10 in?? i know this is so basic of a cake question..but i'm puzzled! lol

2 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:58am
post #2 of 3

8" square, single layer, if cut in 2x2" = 16 pcs. If it's a 2 layer and if you cut it in 1x2x4 pcs, you will get 32 pcs (8 columns by 4 rows).

I base my pricing on a 1x2x4 double layer and charge per serving.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 May 2008 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 3

I do the same as Debi does.. an 8" square (double layer) will be MORE than enough.. truely a 6" square would be enough. An 8" round (again double layer) will feed 20.. that might be a better option than the square.

I charge per serving too.. it makes it MUCH easier to calculate things. I suggest finding a serving chart you like and sticking with it and then sitting down and figuring out your costs in making your cakes.. ingredients, time, gas, utilities.. all of it. Then you have a good place to start with your pricing. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%