Help Candymelt Roses.... Dough Crumbly!!

Decorating By Jopalis Updated 6 May 2008 , 6:26pm by icer101

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:14am
post #1 of 5

Hello. I am trying to make some candymelt/candyclay roses. I followed some directions that called for 16 oz of candymelts and 1/3 cup cornsyrup. I used 1/2. I gently nuked the melts and that was fine. Directions then said let cool 5 minutes and then stir in the corn syrup. OK... then it came into a ball and I spread it out between plastic wrap and let it set. Then it said it will be hard. It was. Said nuke it for say 15 seconds and try and knead it for a while and then roll it out.

Problem is my mixture is really crumbly. When I try to knead it just falls apart. I wanted to make these tonight. Is it salvageable? I hope I don't have to throw away.......

Thanks for any help....Pat icon_cry.gif

4 replies
SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:34am
post #2 of 5

Hmm, those are some pretty involved directions! I love candy clay and the only time it turns crumbly on me is when it gets a little old. I'm not sure if you can save it, maybe someone else can give you advice about that one. But I can offer up the recipe I use all the time for future use icon_biggrin.gif :

Jopalis Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:51am
post #3 of 5

Thank you! I watched the video and that is pretty much how mine looked. I didnt' let it set for 24 hrs though. I tried to work it/ knead it a couple of hours after it set. It was crumbly. I used 8 oz of melts and a little more than 1/8 cup of corn syrup. Maybe not enough corn syrup. The recipe I used said 1/3 cup less 1 TBS. So that was just a hair over 1/4 cup. Soooo I used 1/8 plus a pinch. I guess I will see what happens tomorrow. I did try to work a little more corn syrup in after I rewarmed it a little. I hope I don't have to start over!

Jopalis Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 5

anyone else... Had it go crumbly? What to do?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 May 2008 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 5

this is the recipe i use by mari senaga.... she demos at convention.... 1 lb. white,milk, or dk. chocolate , melted...... 1/2 cup corn syrup, or glucose. heat in microwave on fifty percent power for 2-3 min. until shiny. stir until smooth.... after chocolate has been melted...add the corn syrup. stir until it blends.... and starts to seperates. (this will look wrong). the chocolate and the fats separate, but it is correct... stil till conbined. pour the mixture onto a piece of waxed paper... leave uncovered for 3 hrs. wrap lightly for the next 24 hrs. store in a cool place (55-75 degress) she says do not refrigerate. she also says not to squeeze out the oils. some people say to squeeze it out. i never do. to use .... break off a piece.... warm and knead each piece in hands until you achieve the consistency of modeling clay. you can add paste color( use a toothpick) let set up for 20-30 minutes before using. she makes beautiful chocolate flowers. all kinds hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%