Grad. Cap Help Needed.. Can I Use Just Gp?

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 5 May 2008 , 2:15am by wgoat5

wgoat5 Posted 5 May 2008 , 1:57am
post #1 of 5

I have tried covering the "board" with fondant and it just doesn't look right. Will gp not hold it's shape or something? Is this the reason people don't use just gp? Ughh not liking these little buggers..

4 replies
kakeladi Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:03am
post #2 of 5

GP dries much faster than fondant, even if it has Tylose added.
I don't understand what the problem is....just cut a sq of fondant or gp, dry and apply to a cap/base.
What are you trying to cover?
What am I missing?

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:04am
post #3 of 5

I don't see why you couldn't. roll it out thicker than norm and leave plenty of time for it to dry. Prolly wana put the little button thing on while it's wet.

You are talking about the top board right?

DianeLM Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:05am
post #4 of 5

Sure! You can use gumpaste. Just make sure you make it far enough in advance to dry THOROUGHLY. I would suggest placing the flat piece between two pieces of foam sponge topped with a light weight, such as a couple of cake boards, to prevent it from curling as it dries.

wgoat5 Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:15am
post #5 of 5

Thanks a million!!! I was wondering why everybody covered the "mortar" board with fondant instead of just using straight gumpaste ... I guess it was for time reasons.. But I couldn't get mine to look right.. and it kept falling apart no matter what I stuck it on with GRRR

Thanks guys icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%