Bender/futurama Cake - Help

Decorating By butterflywings Updated 2 Sep 2016 , 2:38am by karthurs

butterflywings Posted 5 May 2008 , 1:50am
post #1 of 15

Does anyone remember the show Futurama? My husband has requested for his birthday a cake of Bender, the "bad-a$$" robot, who drinks beer, smokes cigars and has a sarcastic bad attitude. We're having a BBQ to celebrate, so a LOT of people will be here and I was thinking it might be cool to make Bender 3D, only I'm not really sure. (i'm going to try to attach a photo of him). I was thinking it might be easier to have him appear to be sitting (so that his legs are in front of him) as that would make support a little easier.

Do you think the best thing is to just make him out of rounds (with supports & boards every 4 inches of cake) and then carve the head? What would you suggest for his head (a 6" round w/ 1/2 a sports ball or a pyrex bowl?). I'm thinking I'll cover him in fondant and probably use fondant or fondant/gumpaste mix for the arms & legs.
LL

14 replies
butterflywings Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:26am
post #2 of 15

oh, just had a thought... what about RKT for the head? and maybe for the hands & feet?

and here's another question.... about covering him in fondant... should i try wrapping the body around or try to cover like i would a regular cake? i think covering each part separate (body, head, each arm & leg) might be easier.

LOL - am I answering my own questions? LOL

akgirl10 Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:16am
post #3 of 15

Sorry, I'm not really much help, but your ideas sound good. What if you make the head out of cakes and make the body hollow so you can grab a beer out of it? My husband has a big poster of bender in the garage that says "bite my shiny metal a**", lol. We love the futurama, I can't wait to see what you do!

butterflywings Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:15am
post #4 of 15

OMG - that's a really cool idea!!! However, since the party is this coming Saturday and I work part time during the week, I don't think I have the time to do that... Though I will keep it in mind for next time. I am planning to have a real cigar in his mouth - one of hubby's faves, so he can smoke it later. However, your idea does help me, as I think I'll put a beer sitting on the board next to bender.

Cake_Princess Posted 5 May 2008 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflywings

Does anyone remember the show Futurama? My husband has requested for his birthday a cake of Bender, the "bad-a$$" robot, who drinks beer, smokes cigars and has a sarcastic bad attitude. We're having a BBQ to celebrate, so a LOT of people will be here and I was thinking it might be cool to make Bender 3D, only I'm not really sure. (i'm going to try to attach a photo of him). I was thinking it might be easier to have him appear to be sitting (so that his legs are in front of him) as that would make support a little easier.

Do you think the best thing is to just make him out of rounds (with supports & boards every 4 inches of cake) and then carve the head? What would you suggest for his head (a 6" round w/ 1/2 a sports ball or a pyrex bowl?). I'm thinking I'll cover him in fondant and probably use fondant or fondant/gumpaste mix for the arms & legs.

Here is a sketch I came up with. I hope this helps some what. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

With regards to the lack of dimensions, you did not mention the number of servings but you get the general idea. Good Luck.
LL

LanaC Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:47pm
post #6 of 15

You could also open his "belly door" to show beer cans inside. (We love futurama). I think your ideas are good ones. I'd wrap his body from the sides and not like a normal cake - you can put in "rivets" where the "metal" overlaps. I'd also just put his legs sticking straight out. I think the trickiest part will be arms, but long skinny columns always stress me.

butterflywings Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 15

Cake-Princess -- YOU ROCK... that's kinda of what I was seeing in my head, but you know sometimes it's hard to get what's in your head out onto paper or into words that others will understand. I'm not 100% sure how many servings I need yet, but this does give me a place to start! THANK YOU!!!

LanaC -- the arms are giving me a little stress, too, since I'm not sure what to do... I was thinking about this today and I might just try to find something non-edible to use for the arms & legs and just do the hands & feet part out of either cake or RKT.

If anyone else has suggestions or ideas, feel free to chime in... Gonna go make the eye section, his mouth and antenna out of gumpaste now.. icon_biggrin.gif

Cake_Princess Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:42am
post #8 of 15
Quote:

Cake-Princess -- YOU ROCK... that's kinda of what I was seeing in my head, but you know sometimes it's hard to get what's in your head out onto paper or into words that others will understand. I'm not 100% sure how many servings I need yet, but this does give me a place to start! THANK YOU!!!

If anyone else has suggestions or ideas, feel free to chime in... Gonna go make the eye section, his mouth and antenna out of gumpaste now.. icon_biggrin.gif

Not a problem.

You can make the entire head out of Rice Krispies Treats. Then cover it in buttercream and fondant. Same with the feet and arms. It's super easy.

servingzero Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:16am
post #9 of 15

I CANNOT wait to see this cake! Man, the beer in the body would be sooo awesome, though sadly you're a busy girl. (Which I can sympathize with!) I looove futurama. And Bender is the best best character ever!

KrisD13 Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:28am
post #10 of 15

what about using bendable pipe as a structure for the arms and legs. Wrap some RKT on them, then fondant. You could also check into pipe for his legs if you want him standing, but make them straight, and attach with screws to a base. That could be an option.

If anyone could come up with the structure for this, it's Doug. He's super when it comes to figuring out structure for just about anything! icon_biggrin.gif

HTH

butterflywings Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:16am
post #11 of 15

OMG -- DOUG!! If he could come up with a structure that would allow me to have Bender standing AND be able to open his belly (leaving the head as the cake) that would totally rock... but who knows... since my MIL is coming into town this weekend, I have a TON of other stuff I'm trying to get done. so i'm not even sure with a sketch and list of supplies if I could pull it off.

DOUG??? Ideas??

Auryn Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:44am
post #12 of 15

i was thinking instead of having him standing, you could have him sitting with the legs dangling off- a la kermit the frog.
make the legs out of pvc pipe screwed into the base of the cake.

use a thick piece of wood as the base of the cake and screw the legs into that- no worry about the stress of the legs bringing down the cake

as for the arms- fondant covered pvc pipe angled - the hands lying flat next to the cake- you can screw the bottom of the pvc wrist into the wooden cake board- that would support the arms up so then they just have to be touching the body up top - would make it look like bender has his hands on his 'hips' which he does all the time on the show (ive seen every episode at least 3 times)

this way you can focus on the body and head being the cake

i dont know if that makes sense
i will try to draw it out for you

Cake_Princess Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:40pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:

OMG -- DOUG!! If he could come up with a structure that would allow me to have Bender standing AND be able to open his belly (leaving the head as the cake) that would totally rock... but who knows... since my MIL is coming into town this weekend, I have a TON of other stuff I'm trying to get done. so i'm not even sure with a sketch and list of supplies if I could pull it off.

DOUG??? Ideas??

Sorry I am not Doug but this was a one of the sketches I did yesterday. I just did not scan it. It's pretty rough but you will get the idea of what's involved if you wanted to create a standing Bender.

I'll attach both files I don't know which one is clearer
LL
LL

Cake_Princess Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:50pm
post #14 of 15

Basically for th feet you need a thick dowel which will be attached to the base cake board/plywood. This will be covered with rice krispies and fondant.

On the upper end will be another cake board which will support your cake. This will also be screwed into the Upper end of the thick dowel.

For the Beer Belly you need to cut out and area. Insert smaller dowels/chopsticks in the base of this area. Add your cake board which will support the beer. Make the door from gumpaste. It can be attached with skewers.

Arms and head more Rice Krispies and fondant.

Oops I just noticed you are going to go with the head as cake. Switch it around in a way that works for you but you get the general idea for The structure.

You Can also have Bender on his knees, sculpt his lower leg and foot along the board behind the thick dowel. Then his thigh is the section the dowel runs through.

Also let me clarify when I use the term dowel for the legs. This has to be reasonably thick so it can carry the weight or your creation. A tripod arrangement would be even more stable so just make sure you have a sturdy base board and screw in the dowels.

I can't wait to see what you come up with.

karthurs Posted 2 Sep 2016 , 2:38am
post #15 of 15

How do you create the visor?  Have it defy gravity.  I could imagine making it ahead and then adding but hard to get the curve right and match the frosted covered cake perfectly to match.

Really struggling with that part.    

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%