Wine Bottle Cake?

Decorating By allee Updated 5 May 2008 , 1:08am by allee

allee Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:35am
post #1 of 3

My uncle has just opened his winery and has requested a cake for the opening of the tasting room. I would love to do a wine bottle cake w/his lable on it. My ? is, how can I make the bottle out of cake and make it realistic? I have read the threads for the sugar/rkt/gumpast etc. but I would like to try it out of cake, covered in MMF. Is that possible? I would like to put it on another cake for the crate, which I think I can do. Any help, tips, pointers, Greatly appreciated! TIA

2 replies
akgirl10 Posted 5 May 2008 , 1:05am
post #2 of 3

I just finished one, i have done two now, they're in my photos. I made a pound cake in a 13X9 pan. Then I cut it lengthwise into thirds and stacked them together. Set a wine bottle next to the cake and trim the top off. Hold the bottle just above the cake and trim the sides. You should have about the right shape now. As you carve, make your cake a little smaller to compensate for b/c and fondant. I tinted fondant with an olive green color, then painted it with diluted gel color mixed with khaki lustre dust. It was pretty simple, you can do it! Good luck

allee Posted 5 May 2008 , 1:08am
post #3 of 3

ok, that sounds like something I can accomplish. BTW, your work is great! Thanks for explaining it where I can understand. I think sometimes, I tend to overthink things and confuse myself!lol
Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%