What's Your Fav Cake Flavor/filling For Summer Season?

Decorating By anku Updated 21 Jun 2008 , 6:23pm by JulieB

anku Posted 4 May 2008 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 58

My son's B'day is coming up in June and I'm looking for cake flavors/fillings that are different, stay well in summer mnths(we'll be doing outdoor) and taste great!

Thanks for help.

57 replies
alanahodgson Posted 5 May 2008 , 1:06am
post #2 of 58

I just "invented" a new flavor I like to call strawberry lemonade. I use the WASC recipe and sub 1/2 cup of the water for fresh lemon juice, add some lemon zest and sub all of the extracts for lemon extract. Then I swirl in some sweetened strawberry puree. I filled it with strawberry cream cheese filling and iced in lemon SMBC. YUMMY! I made it for a shower at work and two people who had already placed orders with me for the future, changed their original flavor to this one.

Petit-four Posted 5 May 2008 , 1:08am
post #3 of 58

Someone recently posted a cake recipe they called "strawberry lemonade" --

I have some customers who their have children's birthdays in the summer -- they order an orange cake with orange cream filling-- and tell the kids it's a "creamsicle."

Petit-four Posted 5 May 2008 , 1:09am
post #4 of 58

Alana -- I was literally doing a search for your recipe when you posted. icon_smile.gif

alanahodgson Posted 5 May 2008 , 1:21am
post #5 of 58
Originally Posted by Petit-four

Alana -- I was literally doing a search for your recipe when you posted. icon_smile.gif

Ha ha! I have not posted mine, but I'll have to check out what's out there and compare.

There's a strawberry lemonade cupcake that I've made from CC, but the cupcakes had 1 c of oil in them and they were really greasy-great flavor, but greasy. And the cupcakes were strawberry and the icing was lemon, so a little different.

anku Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:08am
post #6 of 58

Yes, Orange cake seems interesting!

HerBoudoir Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:18am
post #7 of 58

Summer to me is all about the fruit - berries, peaches, plums, cherries, etc icon_smile.gif

Pair that with coconut cake, almond cake, genoise, lemon curd, etc....yay!

kakeladi Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:22am
post #8 of 58

Lemon cake w/raspberry fillingicon_smile.gif

miny Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:58am
post #9 of 58

Alana please post your recipe, it sounds delicious!!!

beemarie Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:14am
post #10 of 58

Key lime with key lime curd and filling ~ Delicious!

anku Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:31am
post #11 of 58

Hmmm key lime cake! how do you make key lime curd?

JudyDP Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:30am
post #12 of 58
Originally Posted by beemarie

Key lime with key lime curd and filling ~ Delicious!

I have wanted to use lemon curd as a filling. Do you think that lemon or lime curd would be safe to use without refrigeration outdoors?

alanahodgson Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:11am
post #13 of 58

Alana's Strawberry Lemonade Cake

1/2 box white cake mix
1/2 box yellow cake mix
1 cups flour
1 cups sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 cups sour cream
1/4 cup freshly squeezed and strained lemon juice plus water to equal 2 2/3 cups liquid (it could probably use more lemon juice if you like it more lemony)
zest of 1 large lemon
2 Tbs vegetable oil
3 large eggs
2 tsp lemon extract

Mix on low for 30 seconds, then on medium for 2 minutes.

I'm sure you could use all white or all yellow cake mix, but when I made this I made a double batch for a large cake and used one box of each. I've just scaled it down for you all.

Strawberry puree
Cook 1 bag of frozen or 1 quart of fresh strawberries till the berries are soft but still holding their shape. Strain the liquid and reserve for another use (like strawberry cake mmmm.....) Puree the strawberries and add granulated sugar to taste. I think I added about 1/4 cup to this amount of berries.

Fill prepared pans with cake batter. Drop dollops of strawberry puree on top of batter and swirl with a knife to get a marbled effect.

Bake at 350ish for the length of time recommended for your sized pans.

Strawberry Cream Cheese Filling
4 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup strawberry puree with 2 Tbs granulated sugar added
1/4 cup powdered sugar

Whip cream slightly, add powdered sugar and continue whipping to stiff peaks. Set aside. Whip cream cheese till soft and smooth. Add sweetened strawberry puree and blend. Gently fold whipped cream into strawberry/cheese mixture.

The lemon Swiss Meringue butter cream (lemon SMBC) is Toba Garrett's recipe. I think next time I make it I will sub fresh lemon juice for the lemon extract. Here is the link

Petit-four Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:08pm
post #14 of 58

Thanks for posting this, Alana!

anku Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:25pm
post #15 of 58

That recipe sounds delicious! Thanks for posting icon_smile.gif

beemarie Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:47pm
post #16 of 58

You can make lime curd the same way you make lemon, just substitute limes for the lemons (I use a Martha Stewart recipe), and I have let cakes made with curds sit out for a while and there has never been a problem. I think it should be safe.

miny Posted 6 May 2008 , 6:41am
post #17 of 58

Alana thank you so much! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

wgoat5 Posted 6 May 2008 , 10:30am
post #18 of 58

I have been making version of a hummingbird cake without the bananas... the pineapple gives such a great flavor.. and I do it with a very light citrusy glaze between the layers... seems to go a long way and people who love citrus flavors seem to really like it.

Michelle104 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:10pm
post #19 of 58

I know that this post is a few weeks old but I wanted to make sure that if you use Alana's recipe to do the lemon juice plus water only to 1 and 1/3 cup if you're following the rest of it. If you use the reg wasc recipe which is double what she posted (except for the liquid) then use 2 and 2/3 liquid. I tried to make this cake last night and was a little tired already and thought it seemed like a bit much liquid but I didn't check (yet... icon_lol.gif ) until I went to pour my batter into my pan! icon_confused.gif I baked it anyway just to see what would happen....needless to say....not so pretty! icon_lol.gif So now it's the morning and I'm on my way to the store to try it again. BTW...The batter was YUMMY!!!! AND I don 't usually like lemon. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

alanahodgson Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:16am
post #20 of 58

Oh! Michelle104! I'm sorry! that was a total brain fart! I'm sorry I screwed you up! Yes! For sure use only 1 1/3 cups lemon juice/water!!! I wish I could go back and edit that! So sorry!!

wgoat5 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:33am
post #21 of 58

Speaking of fresh flavors.. maybe you all can help me... I've seen the reverse... lemon cake with blueberry filling.. BUT I need a blueberry cake with lemon BC .. Customer says she has had one... and it had a cake texture.. not a muffin texture.

Anybody can ya help me? icon_smile.gif

Michelle104 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:37am
post #22 of 58

I've not seen a blueberry cake but now you've got me curious! icon_razz.gif DH loves blueberry anything and I bet he would love this! icon_lol.gif I'll keep and eye out and let me know if you find anything!

Thanks! Michelle

wgoat5 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:43am
post #23 of 58

I got a pm from a friend she said " make a blueberry compote and swirl it through your favorite white or yellow cake. OR.. you can make a yellow or white cake and fill it with a thickened blueberry compote.. I did that the other day.. pound cake with lemon cream and thickened blueberry compote (which is just blueberries cooked with some sugar or honey with some cornstarch dizzolved in lemon juice added in). "

Sounding good eh? icon_biggrin.gif

Michelle104 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:55am
post #24 of 58

icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif Sounding heavenly!!! Question though...I made alana's strawberry lemonade cake over the weekend with the straw/crm chs filling. I swirled some of the strawberry puree into the cake batter and baked like she says. I'm not a huge cake eater myself, LOVE to decorate though!! icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif Anyway, the batter where the strwberry was swirled through seemed sort of gummy? to me. ???? The cake around it was done. I got the clean cake tester out when I checked. The texture just seemed a little funky to me. Is that normal? Like I said, not much a an eater and this is the first "fruity" cake that I've baked myself. Thanks for letting me pick your brain!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

wgoat5 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:58am
post #25 of 58

I'm not sure icon_sad.gif ... I'm a picky cake baker LOL... I'm one of those that doesn't stray to far from the basic vanilla and chocolate.. LOL

Michelle104 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:05am
post #26 of 58

icon_redface.gif yep! that's pretty much me too! icon_rolleyes.gif I just did my first marble cake like a month ago!!! icon_lol.gif

FromScratch Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:29am
post #27 of 58

Awwwe friend.. icon_wink.gif. That would be me.. see I can brag cuz Christi called me her friend.. icon_lol.gif

Anyway.. when you swirl fruit purees through your batter the cake that mixes with it is going to be wetter..it's just like when you bite into a blueberry (or any fruit) muffin and the muffin right near the blueberry is a bit wetter from the juices in the berry. Personally I like the contrast.. but if you don't.. then just fill your cakes with the fruit and leave the cake vanilla.

That blueberry lemon cake was REALLY good.. and the blueberry really shined eventhough the cake was just plain vanilla sour cream pound cake. I'd do a vanilla cake next time as the pound cake is harder to slice through and the filling moved a bit, but the flavor was wonderful and the lemon cream accented the blueberry compote wonderfully. I brushed the layers with a lavendar simple syrup as well and it was just a wonderful summery cake.

Michelle104 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:42am
post #28 of 58

icon_razz.gif OK!! You sold me!! Can you pm me the recipes you used or point me in the right direction? I've never done a compote before...... icon_lol.gif thanks so much!!!! icon_lol.gif

FromScratch Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:43am
post #29 of 58

Oh and to answer the question.. I agree with HerBoudoir.. berries berries berries. I love all berries and nothing says summer to me like fresh berries.. and peaches and nectarines also rank in there. Citrus flavors too.. I love a vanilla cake with lemon cream (lemon curd lightened with stiffly beaten whipped cream) and just about any berry puree/compote. Think light and fresh.

So long as you aren't going to be outside with the cake for hours and hours.. any filling will be fine.

cocobean Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:58am
post #30 of 58

Thanks everyone, sounds great! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%