Too Many Cake Pans??

Decorating By TexasSugar Updated 6 May 2008 , 4:33am by onebigdogmama

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:23am
post #31 of 52

I have around 150. An oval set, petal set, a few novelty shaped pans, 4 3-D pans, the remaining are rounds, squares, and rectangles. I don't use the novelty shaped pans. I buy them thinking they are "so cute" or "I remember when this one came out!" or just when I'm in a outbidding mood on ebay. I'll keep it for a couple of months then stick it back on ebay. I'm the same way with my books. There's a few I keep no matter what then there are those that I buy, look at, resell.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:43am
post #32 of 52

I am embarrassed to admit how many pans I have icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif Let's just say more than anyone yet has admitted to.. icon_cry.gif Cookie cutters in the thousands.. icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif Plus hundreds of candy molds icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif We won't even talk about the cake stands that take up half my large walk in attic. But.. (in my defense) I have been collecting for almost 20 years, and haven't gotten rid of one thing. I organized them years ago; and created an inventory on excel, a master list, and then by inventory/location. I have them packed in large storage bins (numbered), and the cookie cutters in large cabinets with drawers. All this in a craft room so it is easily accessible. Then there is all that fondant/gumpaste cutters, tools, mats, molds, stencils, rollers, ok, ok, I will stop now. So, with all this organization, how is it that I keep buying stuff, get it home, only to find that I already have one... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif It's my hobby.. my passion.. my love of the art.. icon_wink.gif

all4cake Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:53am
post #33 of 52

way back when, I had a mad collection of pans...mostly novelty shapes...and books galore...

I threw a tantrum one day after a comment DH made about how my (*(& was taking over the house. I packed it all up and shipped ALL OF IT...tips, bags, EVERYTHING to my sister who had just started taking Wilton classes. Could you imagine, getting enormous boxes delivered to your door and opening them to find dumploads of cake stuff???? She was ecstatic.

LOL...um...DH hasn't said anything since about my stuff....he's replaced every piece and then some in cost.

I've matured a little bit since then...

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:04am
post #34 of 52

All4cakes ,lol,lol,my dh said i had to much junk one time i pack every thing in the house and let it set, when we would talk it would echo lol,lol well he couldnt take that but i let him suffer for few weeks. never said any thing else lol,lol...so i guess thats why he doesnt say a word about my collections...

all4cake Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:06am
post #35 of 52

LOL....Everything in the house???? That's hilarious!

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:18am
post #36 of 52

EVERYTHING!!! TANTRUM WELL I THREW ONE.LOL,LOL,BUT I DO LOVE HIM..26YRS MARRIED.I WONT TRAIN ANOTHER ONE LOL,LOL..SORRY WEVE GOTTEN OFF THE SUBJECT..

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:37pm
post #37 of 52

CakesByLJ ...dont be icon_redface.gif Im proud of you icon_lol.gif I wont even start on how many choc molds I also have on top of everything elese ! that I have been buying for 20 yrs ! I remember way back when the most popular choc mold was the dolly pardon mold icon_lol.gif I had several and wore them all out icon_redface.gif I wish I had some of the old ones I wore out and couldnt find again to replace ! ( I did find Dolly ) Any way I still think You can never have to many cake pans ! thumbs_up.gif Look at it this way... You cant do your job without the right tools ! So gotta have them ! icon_biggrin.gif

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 5 May 2008 , 1:58pm
post #38 of 52

I'll give up my cake pans when my DH reduces the number of CD's he has for his DJ business! At least now with digital he has most of his stuff on the computer/Ipod, but he won't let go of the old stuff!

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:16pm
post #39 of 52

if you feel you have too many and want to give them away you can mail them to me I'll take them..lol icon_biggrin.gif

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:25pm
post #40 of 52

fiddlesticks.......... have I told you lately that I love you.... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif You know what I want that I don't have... an oscar chocolate mold.. I have been looking forever, and have only seen one.. a friend had one in Ca. But you know they banned all that stuff for the Academy Awards years ago, and you cannot get any of it anymore.. icon_sad.gif My most prized possession is the Cinderella Castle Sugar Mold Set (the original one). I found it at a sale where a decorator had died, I didn't know her), and her dh was selling off everything. At one time it sold for over $400 on ebay.. (I paid $1 for it.. yep $1) I bought it not even knowing what I had; I just wanted to use it, but now I am afraid to, for fear I might break it.. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:27pm
post #41 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmw

My cake pans and cookie cutters are listed on an inventory sheet for insurance! I have over 200 cookie cutters and around 75 pans..thus the need for the list. I started to buy duplicates because I couldn't remember what I had! I thought I had enough for now, but I saw an Easter egg pan on sale today...and bought it. After doing 1/4 sheets this weekend I realized I could use another pan...darn the luck, I'll just have to buy another one!

Don't I know how this is. When I moved to the UK, I had to pay extra to make sure that my rubber stamps and paper crafts items were covered. As a total, they were the most valuable items I owned. When we move back some day it will probably be the same with my cake stuff. (I have very successfully Ebayed my rubber stamping stuff...to fund the cake addiction.)

So, while Ebay can be evil. It can be a great way to clean house. Remember, if you need any of those ancillary pans in the future, you can almost always find someone selling them!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:20pm
post #42 of 52

I have only about 8 chocolate molds and around 60 cake pans. I do have about 12 spring form pans though and about 8 cupcake pans. I want more! I NEED MORE!!!!! I'm getting rid of those character pans I hate to use and never do to make room for better pans. I'm slowly replacing my wilton pans with magic line ones and don't get me started about saving up for an airbrush. I'm frothing at the mouth for cake items to slow down the cravings. I'm signing up for some classes either at the Wilton school or the French Pastry school in Chicago. Just waiting to see what I'll have to buy after those. I have an addiction that I must feed.
On the bright side. My DH has moved his office to a different room in the house and is clearing the old one out to put up shelves for all of my cake items.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:24pm
post #43 of 52

im with cakesbylj, ive too many to admit too. i also have mine in numbered boxes stored in the attic, with an excel list with cake pan, wilton number, year and which box its in. i do rent them out, not often but i have them if someone needs them. I feel they are an investment and i tell my kids and hubby that if something happens to me sell them on ebay!!! dont just give them away. i also have all the wilton books and some extras that i will one day get to put on ebay along with my doubles of cake pans.
I am a recovering cake pan addict and can resist buying them now, phew!! finally.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:30pm
post #44 of 52

im with cakesbylj, ive too many to admit too. i also have mine in numbered boxes stored in the attic, with an excel list with cake pan, wilton number, year and which box its in. i do rent them out, not often but i have them if someone needs them. I feel they are an investment and i tell my kids and hubby that if something happens to me sell them on ebay!!! dont just give them away. i also have all the wilton books and some extras that i will one day get to put on ebay along with my doubles of cake pans.
I am a recovering cake pan addict and can resist buying them now, phew!! finally.

Mommaskip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommaskip Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:32pm
post #45 of 52

i am also envious of you ladies that have hundreds of pans. i hope to one day have the same especially since i want to turn this into a business. its just convincing my hubby that is the problem.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:39pm
post #46 of 52

ok my obsession began nearly 4 years ago.... I have over 100 shaped pans like flowers and dogs and characters... many collectible ones that are worth some moolah. I went through them a while back and sold about 10 of them, then I stopped. I have about 50 standard pans (rounds, sqs, sheets)... I sold all of my mini's.... as for chocolate molds, I have 2 rubbermaid boxes full this includes my oreo and nutterbutter molds. I also have about 50 cookie cutters..... I have outgrown my space more than once... and now DH is at me again.... shall we begin counting colors, tips, sprinkles, hehehehehehehehe~~~ the fun never ends. I hit yardsales religiously and antique stores... I have paid $3 for a pan that sold on ebay for over $60..... so see there is a sport in collecting. If I see a rare one and I know it is worth money I buy it.... I constantly surf ebay for current prices... maybe we should convince someone at wilton to put out one of those value books like they used to/still do with comic books and baseball cards icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:17pm
post #47 of 52

I have found some wonderful old cookie cutters at antique malls ! I bought lots and lots of Cambo,s Wilton shaped pans about a yr ago when she was cleaning out ( hoping some of her wonderful talent would rub off . LOL! no luck ) I would never sell any of my shaped pans , even if I dont use them, I see some of them go for so much money !

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:46pm
post #48 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommaskip

i am also envious of you ladies that have hundreds of pans. i hope to one day have the same especially since i want to turn this into a business. its just convincing my hubby that is the problem.

Hahaha well it's not like I started out thinking "ooo I'll collect cake pans" - they just sort of grew up on their own. I can't resist new small pans....I adore little cakes icon_smile.gif

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:51pm
post #49 of 52

Well I just went and took inventory of my cake pans. I have 209. That's not counting cookie sheets, muffin pans, cooling racks, cookie cutters, chocolate molds. Just plain old cake pans.

debrab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debrab Posted 5 May 2008 , 9:06pm
post #50 of 52

A few years ago, when I first started decorating, I sold a few and I regret it now. I have bought them back and paid more to get them.

I have started buying some Magic Line and some of the Daddios (I think that is the name). I love that they come in all the small sizes. I now have round from 2 inches to 16 inches.

It is just an addiction! At lunch, I log on the computer in the break room at work and browse e-bay for a good deal! Today I won the Rainbow Bright pan with a nice looking insert!!

So far this year, I have only found an Elmo at yard sales, but hopefully, I will find more deals soon!! When my mom goes antique shopping, she looks for pans too, and cookie cutters and molds!!

Sorry I'm all over the page, but I'm trying to comment on several of your posts!

Batter-UpBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Batter-UpBakery Posted 5 May 2008 , 10:03pm
post #51 of 52

lol i agree, you can NEVER have to many cake pans. I have somewhere around 75 and i just bake for family at the moment lol.

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 6 May 2008 , 4:33am
post #52 of 52

I too have a mini collection. I have a low range, in the 20's, if that. I just added 4 more to my collection. One of the cake supply stores is getting rid of the retail stuff and just doing the bakery part. I picked up some Magic Line pans-- 2) 8 x 2's, 1) 6 x 6 x 2 and 1) 10 x 10 x 2 all for 50% off! I also got some other things all for 50% off--tips, parchment bags, luster dust and cake boards, cookie cutters. I only spent $50. I know it was at least $100 worth of stuff. Wish I could have bought more but have to behave. thumbs_up.gif Now, if we start a cookie cutter collection, that's another story. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%