Can You Make Chocolate Cake From Vanilla Batter ?

Decorating By icingonthecupcake Updated 5 May 2008 , 12:51am by rezzygirl

icingonthecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingonthecupcake Posted 4 May 2008 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 7

Help!!! I am making cupcakes for my daughter's class tommorow and I have exactly enough cake batter for the 24 kids in her class. She just told me that she doesn't just want vanilla cupcakes but chocolate as well, I am wondering if I can add cocoa powder or melted chocolate to make the batter chocolate. Has anyone ever tried this ? Do you think that this would work? Please Help I need the cupcakes y the morning and dread another trip to the grocery store for more ingredients. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Thanks for your help in advance, Jasmne

6 replies
cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 4 May 2008 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 7

I add cocoa powder to my french vanilla batter to make my chocolate. It will be just fine. icon_smile.gif

HTH,
Amy

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 4 May 2008 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 7

Oh absolutely! You can simply add cocoa powder to make the chocolate! That tends to work better for me than melted chocolate, but I know you can use that too if you need to. Just give a healthy dose for a nice chocolately flavor. Another dash of vanilla extract will also complement the chocolate flavor nicely!

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 4 May 2008 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 7

I have added cocoa powder to yellow cake to make the fudge part of fudge marble cake. I would think it would work the same.

pearliesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearliesmom Posted 4 May 2008 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 7

I am so glad you asked this, I have been wondering this myself!!

icingonthecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingonthecupcake Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:20am
post #6 of 7

I appreciate your help so much Everyone !!!! I am so glad that I can look to cake central for help! Thanks for answering my question so quickly, pearliesmom I'm happy that I helped get you an answer as well.

Many thanks, Jasmine

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:51am
post #7 of 7

I add cocoa powder and a little expresso powder to part of the cake batter when I do marbled cakes. Tastes really good!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%