Can We Do A Poll About Flavors And Emulsions Please?!?

Decorating By andpotts Updated 5 May 2008 , 1:02am by Petit-four

andpotts Posted 4 May 2008 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 4

Butavan, Wedding Bouquet, Princess Cake and Cookie, Creme Bouquet, Others?

Ok I know there are tons of discussions out there, but I would love to have some good info all in one thread, so PLEASE post your answers here, I think everyone would appreciate it icon_smile.gif Please share!

What emultions/ flavors do you use?

What all do you add yours to (cookies, frosting, cake) and how much?

Which is your favorite?

Where do you buy?

Thank you very much, if anyone has any other questions, please add! I got so excited reading about Butavan & Creme Bouquet I ordered a quart of each and now realize I don't even know what to do with it for sure icon_redface.gif But I HAD to have it, lol!

3 replies
shapeacake Posted 4 May 2008 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 4

I love to emulsions in baking. I haven't tried any of the mixtures. I've always thought that I'd rather control the relative ratios, though it's peeking my interest.

If you were going to order large quantities of any flavors/emulsions, you probably didn't make bad picks. You should be able to use those almost any time your using sugar. When I first started using butter emulsions, I was surprised how good it was. I don't know how strong those that you purchased are, but the emulsions that I use are very strong. For example, I add 1/2 teaspoon of butter emulsion in a mixer full of frosting.

I use other emulsions frequently too, but the butter stands out as being one that I was particularly impressed by. I tried a peanut butter cup emulsion and it didn't do it for me.

The emulsions that I get are wholesale and from a company called Gold Coast.

Have fun with your new ingredients!

tracey1970 Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:51am
post #3 of 4

I'm not much of an experimentor, so I have to ask this: I see a lot of people referring to stuff like Lorann oils, and I'd never even heard of that before getting on CC. When I looked that up at a local cake supply store, it is listed under candy making supplies, which I don't do. I know people use it for other things than candy making. But what? Are these what you would call "emulsions"? When I saw this topic, I was hoping people might get into ideas for these types of flavourings that go beyond the "usual" kinds of things.

Petit-four Posted 5 May 2008 , 1:02am
post #4 of 4

I've used Lorann's almond and orange emulsions -- I do notice a difference in baked goods (exposed to baking heat). They hold up well, compared to McCormick extracts.

I use their natural orange oil, natural lemon oil, and natural lime oil in other baked goods or icings. But I have not been too happy with the other non-natural flavors (like chocolate hazlenut). I found I was better off, both price-wise and in terms of taste, using real toasted hazelnuts.

Plus, since I have to list all my ingredients, I try to keep my baked goods as "natural" as possible.

I would be interested in others' favorite sources -- thanks for starting this thread.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%