Powdered Sugar Too Sweet!?

Decorating By prettycakes Updated 8 May 2008 , 12:32pm by tyty

prettycakes Posted 4 May 2008 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 10

I have been using the 50lb bag of powder sugar from Sam's for a while now, well they stopped carrying it and I had to go with the 7lb bag of baker and chef. Now my frosting is super sweet. The only thing I can think of is that it is a different type of sugar, cane vs. beet. Is there anyway to tone down the sweetness in butter cream frosting?

9 replies
kakeladi Posted 4 May 2008 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 10

Honestly Idon't see any difference between the differet kinds of sugars.
To cut the sweetness you can about 1/2 teasponn salt.
I've never tried it but some use lemon juice (instead of OR w/vanilla)

prettycakes Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks...I hate to say it , but I already use 1 tsp of popcorn salt in my BC recipe to enhance the flavor. This last batch just happened to be a lemon BC and wow! it was gaggy sweet. I tried a vanilla batch right after just to make sure and I couldn't eat it either. (That is saying a lot when I can sit and eat butter cream frosting by the spoon fulls.)

Anyway, I am wondering if I can substitute some flour for the powdered sugar? I know some recipes use a small amount, but I am wondering if I subtract a cup of ps can I add a cup of flour and get the same results? Has anyone tried this?

kr1970 Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 10

Thank YOU! I thought i was losing my mind- but one of my friends kept saying it was sweeter than usual and i thought so too. I kept thinking maybe i counted wrong when adding in the PS!! I thought about the flour and wondered the same thing. I have no answer but would love to know from some of you more expereinced bakers????

LetThereBeCake07 Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 10

i ALWAYS use a pinch of salt and 1/4 cup of flour to a 2cup shortning 2 cup ps batch of bc.
I LOVE my icing because its not too sweet. matter of fact, thats my problem, so good i just eat a spoonfull or two or three when i make it!

tyty Posted 5 May 2008 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetThereBeCake07

i ALWAYS use a pinch of salt and 1/4 cup of flour to a 2cup shortning 2 cup ps batch of bc.
I LOVE my icing because its not too sweet. matter of fact, thats my problem, so good i just eat a spoonfull or two or three when i make it!

Does it still crust? Do you have any cracking problems? I thought about adding flour too, but didn't know if it would work.

prettycakes Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 10

So, I used my same recipe and just put one cup of cake flour into my bowl and then used the same bowl to weigh out my 3 lbs of powder sugar. (Really I subtracted what ever 1 cup of cake flour weighs from my 3 lbs of ps.) My frosting was a little runny, but I am sure that is my fault for adding too much liquid. The texture of my frosting is not as creamy. It seems a little grainy like when I use Crisco w/o the trans fats. The taste is how I like it. Not so sweet that I get sick, but sweet enough that I want more. I used this batch to fill and crumb coat a sheet cake. It needs to set for a while (longer than I like, because I don't have a fridge big enough). I am wondering how it reacts. If all goes well, I will use the same method with less liquid to decorate this cake.

PS. I am really glad to hear that it is not just my taste buds that can tell the difference.

LetThereBeCake07 Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:09am
post #8 of 10

yes, it crusts and no cracking problems so far!

kr1970 Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:07am
post #9 of 10

would you mind sharing your complete recipie? it sounds more like what i'm looking for. icon_rolleyes.gif

tyty Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:32pm
post #10 of 10

I tried adding the flour to my recipe and it did the job of cutting the too sweet taste. It did take longer to crust than normal. I used it on a cake that my daughter took to school for her nursing class, dd says they thought it was very delicious.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%