How To Make My Flowers Stay On My Wire???

Decorating By Molly2 Updated 5 May 2008 , 11:16am by FromScratch

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 4 May 2008 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 13

When I make gum paste flowers they always fall off the wire I see a lot of people making these but theirs never fall could someone give me some advice or share the secrete on how to keep my flowers on my floral wire

Molly2

12 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 4 May 2008 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 13

I hook the end of the wire and then hold it over a lighter until it is hot. Slides right into the flower when it's hot, because the sugar melts, and it's then stuck there when the sugar hardens.

Molly2 Posted 4 May 2008 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 13

How about building it around the wire and making it stay

Molly2

chutzpah Posted 4 May 2008 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 13

Um... what kind of flower are you talking about?

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 4 May 2008 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 13

I dip my wire in my glue (merringue powder mixed with water) and then brush on a paper towel before inserting them into the gumpaste. Be careful, too much and they get wet and messy. I also make a loop at the end of the wire to give it more to hold onto. HTH

chutzpah Posted 4 May 2008 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 13

That's why I do the lighter method... it doesn't get wet and the GP hardens almost instantaneously!

Just stick the hot wire in your rose cone or whatever and within seconds it's ready to continue!

Molly2 Posted 4 May 2008 , 10:06pm
post #7 of 13

I'll try both Thank You!

Molly2 thumbs_up.gif

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 4 May 2008 , 10:58pm
post #8 of 13

Wow...that's a great trick Chutzpah, gotta try it!

Thanks for sharing

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 4 May 2008 , 11:17pm
post #9 of 13

Do you use wrapped floral wire? If it's just bare wire there's nothing for it to grab onto. If it's too wet it'll get slippery and the wrap with start to fall off. icon_smile.gif

Chutzpah.. do you use bare wire when you heat it up like a heroine needle?? icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif And is the GP still soft?

Molly2 Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:14am
post #10 of 13

My wire is wrapped and it still falls

Molly2 icon_cry.gif

FromScratch Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:42am
post #11 of 13

What is your process? Maybe walk me step by step through how you are doing it to see if I can pin point a problem? I am more than happy to see if we can't get you on the track towards flowers that don't commit suicide. icon_wink.gif

chutzpah Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:28am
post #12 of 13

Oh Goodness Gracious Jeane..... Ã hade to cover my sensitive little prudish eyes at your statement about (gasp) drugs. I think I might have to report your post as bad and make an attempt at getting you thrown off this board...... icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyhoo....... I just hold the lighter (I had to ask my neighbor to buy it for me.... I wouldn't want the clerk at the store to even entertain the notion for one second that I would ever smoke.... but then I had to explain to my neighbor most thoroughly exactly just what I needed it for, in case HE thought I was a secret smoker [this is ironic.... I really did go and buy the lighter my ownself without giving a hoot about what the clerk thought.....]) under the little hook until it is hot and then slide it right into the rose cone, or whatever flower I'm making.

Works like a charm.

FromScratch Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:16am
post #13 of 13

icon_wink.gif well you know me... always stirring the "pot".. icon_lol.gif

I'll have to give that a go. Though maybe I'll have to ask the kids that hand out outside the Wal*Mart to buy one for me.. wouldn't want to give the wrong impression.. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%