Smbc....did I Do This Right?

Baking By azeboi2005 Updated 7 May 2008 , 10:09pm by azeboi2005

azeboi2005 Posted 4 May 2008 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 5

So today is was my first attempt at making SMBC, although it all seemed to go very smoothly i'm still not sure if i did it right. I used the Very Vanilla SMBC recipe i found here, followed it to a T (i'm so not kidding i think i read that puppy like 8-10 times). Nothing seemed to be going wrong and in fact i think it tastes pretty darn good. I do question though the texture. Mine came out looking and feeling like a soft whipped cream. Is this the texture of this icing? I'm wondering if I did something wrong. Can any one with more experience help please? Thanks a bunch.

Chris

4 replies
azeboi2005 Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 5

does anyone have any insight on this?

empress Posted 7 May 2008 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 5

Hi,
This is pretty typical of SMBC. It is soft. How long did you beat it? Sometimes no beating it long enough will make it too soft. I like to make sure that my egg whites are cool and pretty stiff before I start adding the butter and I don't add more than a couple tablespoons at a time. I pipe boarders with it, but it is too soft for anything else. It is my DH favorite icing since I learned it in pastry school and he won't eat cake with anything else on it!! It will also set up like butter in a dish if you refirgerate it. Most recommend bringing it to room temp to serve. I like it cold--just qwirky. icon_razz.gif Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif
Empress in rainy Michigan

KoryAK Posted 7 May 2008 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 5

Yep, soft whipped cream is just right for it. And I pipe just flowers and all that with it too. It won't dry out, but you can freeze and handle them quickly if you need to for whatever design.

azeboi2005 Posted 7 May 2008 , 10:09pm
post #5 of 5

Well that makes me fell a little better, the only concern is that when we were cutting the cake towards the end it was falling from the weight of the cake. I had made 2 8" which i torted so there were 4 layers of cakes 3 layers of filling. Maybe i didn't whipp it long enough? I'll give it another go!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%