Fondant Ona Large Cake

Decorating By elainec Updated 4 May 2008 , 6:56pm by steffla

elainec Posted 4 May 2008 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 3

I have made cakes 12inches or smaller using fondant, but what is the technique for covering a 16" cake and about how much fondant does it take? Thanks for your help in advaance! icon_confused.gif

2 replies
Misdawn Posted 4 May 2008 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 3

Well...how tall will the cake be? I have covered a 14" cake (5" tall) with one batch of MMF and had plenty of fondant left over. I just roll it out, lay my rolling pin in the center, and fold one side of the fondant over the rolling pin. Then I just pick up the pin, center it over the cake and let the fondant 'roll' of of it and onto the cake. It's hard to describe, but it's a very simple process. The trick is to not roll the fondant too thin because at that size, the weight of the fondant itself will make it tear when you pick it up.
I figure the size by adding the size of the pan plus 2x the height of the cake and add 4 inches. So for a 14" cake at 5" height, I would need a 28" circle of fondant (14 + 2(5) + 4).

steffla Posted 4 May 2008 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 3

I would like to know this also! I make mmf and dont know how many batches to knead together for a big cake like that or even a large sculpted cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%