Finally Licensed! Need Advice On Website!

Business By skittles2120 Updated 5 May 2008 , 2:33pm by ThatsHowTcakesRolls

skittles2120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skittles2120 Posted 4 May 2008 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 5

Hey Everyone,

I finally got my business license! YEA! It's so nice to be able to advertise. I wanted your opinions on my website, www.frostingfantasies.com. Please let me know what you think and any advice.

Thanks! I look forward to hearing your comments!

4 replies
maggz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggz Posted 4 May 2008 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 5

congrats on getting your license icon_smile.gif
i have some background in graphic design... web designer... so im going to be honest (i dont mean to sound rude or put any work that you have done down... ) i want to be honest so you know from an outside view how ppl are seeing and thinking of it. a website is representing yourself and your business. if the website is confusing or hard to navigate ppl will get annoyed and give up or blab word of mouth that the website is annoying and hard to work with. ppl these days (some) dont want to take the time to explore websites, they want everything to pop up and be there just to click on.
soooo... heres what i suggest and what i like/and dont like.
Frosting Fantasies is a great name... i love it personally. on the webpg though i would deff spice it up a bit. is this a free site?? im guessing it is but you deff might want to look around and even spend a buck or two on getting a paid site where you have many more options with designing and graphics. i just think for a first impression it look very non professional and just dont quickly. i hate being a b*tch but im trying to be honest and give my best advice. take some more time and fool around... fonts, color... i think a nice slanted, cursive lettering would do the name well.
the video was a good idea i just think personally for me it made my eyes bug when the swirls came at me... make just a classic transition would be better than swirling. the bubbles are distracting from the actual pics as well.
at the bottom of the pg there is no contact info... just an email address would be great. unless you have a bakery or store front with address.
i just would do some touch ups and look into maybe paying monthly for a site that may give you more access to graphics, fonts and such or searching yourself for these things to spice up your site. i would love to help you if you need any help. especially with a name like "frosting fantasies" the site in my head should be very... colorful, dream like, kind of like candy land but a mature candy land. smooth transitions and better casing for your photos of your lovely cakes. if you need any advice pm me.

good luck.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:17am
post #3 of 5

You are very brave to ask for opinions. I'm too scared to add a link or share my website yet!

Is there a "softer" page template you can use? The arrow at the top and the font seem kind of techy and not what I think of when I think of a bakery.

I didn't even see that you had anything on the front page, other than the links on the right, until I scrolled down. Can you move those things up the page?

I like the swirl, but it is a bit much...so can you change it to only swirl with the first picture? That way you can use it to start your slideshow, but it won't be overwhelming.

The pictures are all lined up nice and the links seem to go to the right place. Everything looks great, but I'm a believer in getting your prices out there to avoid either lots of emails/phone calls requesting prices or people going elsewhere (like me) who want all the info in one place and don't want to make a phone call if I don't have to.

Congratulations and good luck! icon_smile.gif

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:54am
post #4 of 5

Congrats on becoming licensed! I'm still working on that!

Well, I too have my site with freewebs.com too so I am afraid to critisize but...I think it could be better. I agree with Maggz...it could look more proffessional. You can take a look at mine...I don't know if mine is any better. I just use a template on their site. I just wanted it simple.

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 5

I have to agree with the consensus here. I love the name of your business though - very catchy. Before I clicked on your site, by the name I imagined a very girlie & pretty site. It did seem a bit plain to me. Also, I love flash site - I think they can do great things but I have a very fast computer with broadband and my computer slowed a bit when I clicked on your site.

I firmly believe in information overload. I am by no means an expert but you can take a look at my site. I try to give the bride all the answer she might need so that when I am contacted - it's a serious inquiry. You do great work so I really think that you will bring in the business once you have yourself marketed right.

I use Register.com - I pay $99/year to maintain my website myself. It's very easy too. There are plenty of other places to go out there too besides Register.com - I have seen several members mention other companies though I can't think of them right now. Good luck with your website and keep asking questions if you need to - There are a lot of people on here that maintain their own websites and would be able to help you!

Tammi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%