Is It Worth Doing This?

Business By MikeRowesHunny Updated 6 May 2008 , 2:14pm by ccr03

MikeRowesHunny Posted 4 May 2008 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 6

I am associated with a wedding/event planner who contacted me today to see if I'd be interested in doing a favour cookie for the goody bags for wedding networking event in October. They will be sending out 2500 invites - and I don't expect more than 1000 or so will show. That's still a lot of cookies. I'm not sure if it will be worth my while to do. I have my website listed on a Dutch wedding site that you pay for by the click. Since I joined in February, I have had 111 clicks, and not one enquiry (maybe my cakes are just bad icon_rolleyes.gificon_confused.gif !). I think a lot of that is that it's a Dutch wedding site and my site & myself are English. I have just 1 wedding booked for this year - depressing! Bridal shows cost a fortune, and you have to be a registered business to participate, which I won't be until the beginning of June.

So, I just don't know if busting my butt over 1000 cookie favours will be worth doing or not - it's not so much the expense (I reckon around 150-200 euros - not that we have that kind of cash to be spending with no return!), but the days and days it will take me to do it. What do you think?

5 replies
MikeRowesHunny Posted 4 May 2008 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 6

Here's the actual 'offer'. I haven't been offered one of the tables and have been told that there will be another wedding cake maker there (a very famous one from Amsterdam):

Quote: I would like to invite you to take part in the Supplier Network walk in Event as either a guest speaker to talk about your experience in the wedding industry or to hold one of the 10 discussion groups tables so that visitors to the event can come to you freely for either advice or to request your services. To give you an idea, these are the areas that we would like cover for the discussion tables

Discussion Groups Tables

* Wedding Magazine
* Website Designer
* Company Insurance
* Accountant- Taxes
* Graphic Designer â House Style and Logos
* Image Consultant

The Event will be held on a Sunday afternoon from 12.00 until 17.00. We will hold seminars, discussion groups and of course visitors and of course yourselves have the possibility to network with your colleagues in the Wedding Industry.

By becoming a partner in this event will be offered to you:

* your logo will be shown under partners on the 2500 invitations that will be given out to different suppliers in the Netherlands.
* Your flyers will be put into the hand out bags that will be given to the visitors
* Your Company name will be shown on the BWPN website as a partner in this event

I think some of the discussion tables are weird - I mean who needs to talk to half of those people about a wedding?! I guess I don't get whether this is more for vendors than brides!

JenniferMI Posted 4 May 2008 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 6

OMG - that's a whole lot of cookies!!!!! I'm not sure if I would do it, but I'm not sitting in your boat. You also have to look at how many would really be interested in cookies in the first place? Most don't want to pay for an extra like that along with a cake. It's a tough call, if you are looking for business, you have to look at, how can I drum it up????

I can't tell you what to do..... it's a tough call. LOTS of work..... I'm assuming you would not have to pay to have a booth there if you did this?

Jen icon_smile.gif

CakeDiva73 Posted 4 May 2008 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 6

Wow - that is going to take forever!! I know cookies are so time consuming - not to mention the ingredient cost. I would probably lean more toward no but that's just me. Seems like a great deal out of your pocket....I realize advertising is advertising and if it were 100 cookies then I would say yes, but 1000? I can't even wrap my head around where I would begin! I do wish you the best of luck with it icon_smile.gif

MikeRowesHunny Posted 4 May 2008 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 6

I've just sent an email declining her offer. I need to drum up wedding cake business, and I wouldn't be showcasing that side of my business, so I don't really see the point on this occasion. Oh well, let's hope this will be a door closing window opening moment, cos I need more wedding cakes on the books icon_sad.gif!

ccr03 Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:14pm
post #6 of 6

I know you already declined, but from the looks of it, it was more of a trade show (for vendors) than something to expose you to new clients.

It sounds interesting though, as in something I would like to attend to get more info that I could potentially apply to my business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%