Help!!! My Printer Ink Cartridge Seems To Be Clogged.

Decorating By Manna4 Updated 6 Feb 2014 , 4:30pm by BahaQueen

Manna4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manna4 Posted 4 May 2008 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 15

Is there any way to unclog it without having to replace the whole thing? I have a Epson Stylus CX3810 which I rarely use, but when I use it, it's to do something special I couldn't do without it. Thanks for any advice!

14 replies
JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 4 May 2008 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 15

If you can remove the printhead in that model, you can try soaking JUST THE BOTTOM, in a tiny bit of Windex.... just the slit part, where the ink comes out.

HTH!

Jen icon_smile.gif

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 4 May 2008 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 15

Welcome to the world of clogged print heads! Mine are always getting cloggged. I have a Cannon, so I don't know how similar they are, but I clean mine with vodka - dab with a Q tip. When it's really stubborn, we use steam

macdacruz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macdacruz Posted 4 May 2008 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 15

Hi there,
I'm an agent for edible printing and we use a special liquid to clean the nozzles to avoid them to clog. It works like wonders. What model is your canon? All you have to do is to print a picvture with these cartridges and leave them in the printer to such time you need to use the printer again.
The clogging is due to the fact that the edible ink is water based and when it dries out, forms a powder residue that cloggs the nozzles. This liquid prevents that.
macdacruz

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 4 May 2008 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 15

Macdacruz..where can I get some of the cleaner? I waste a lot of time and ink unclogging my printer! Thanks!

Manna4 Posted 4 May 2008 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 15

I'm back now ready to get some more specific advise from you experts! Thank you so much for the heads up, but now please hang on for the follow-up question and please forgive my ignorance. icon_cry.gif

I'm assuming the problem is a clogged nozzle because the printer is giving this signal of "replace cartridge" even thou my cartridges are full of ink. BTW, I do have a "cartrige chip resetter", which I used to no evail this time.

Macdacruz, I have a Epson Stylus CX3810. Is the "nozzle" the part on the cartridge that disposes the ink? Is there anything I can do in the next 24 hours which will unclog the cartridge? Where will I get this special cleaning liquid/system? Do I have to buy a new set of cartridges to start new and then begin to use it in conjuntion with the cleaner or can I salvege the one I already have?

amysue99 & JenniferMI, is the "print head" part of the printer or part of the cartridge icon_redface.gif ?

Thank you ladies for your help!

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:45am
post #7 of 15

Good question, I'll have to ask my husband! He actually takes care of all my printer problems. I think it's on the cartridge though, the bottom part where the ink comes out. That's what he's always cleaning.

Macdacruz, I'd love to know more about the solution and how much it costs. I have a Cannon MP 600

Manna4 Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:17am
post #8 of 15

Ok, if the "printehead" is the part on the cartrige where the ink comes out, I soaked it in Everclear but the computer is still giving me a message that there is a problem with my black ink cartridge and it should be replaced. What shoud I do now? Kopykake sells a head cleaning kit (item# KJCK1001, $20.00), I just don't know if this is what Macdacruz is refering to. icon_rolleyes.gif

macdacruz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macdacruz Posted 11 May 2008 , 7:43pm
post #9 of 15

I'm still new to this web site and I'm not sure if I'm giving the reply in the right place.
To those that wanted to know where to get the cleaning cartridges to unclog and to prevent future cloggings: I'm the agent for those cartridges and they can be used on the Canon printers model: IP2000, IP3000 IP1500, MP-110 and I also have for the IP-3300. When you not using the printer, you can leave these cleaning cartridges on, because they wll prevent the nozzles to clogg. The clogging is due to the fact that the ink is water based and when it dries form a powder that clogges the nozzles and gives all those headackes.
One way to unclogg them is by placing the headprinter in a steam of boiling water for a few minutes (only getting the steam) and then placing the bottom in a clean absorvent cloth to dry it up. It normally solves the problem.
macdacruz.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 May 2008 , 7:56pm
post #10 of 15

You can buy the cleaning cartridges from wherever you buy your ink cartridges. I always keep the cleaning cartridges in the printer unless I'm actually printing.

foots2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foots2 Posted 11 May 2008 , 8:03pm
post #11 of 15

Question...........where do you put the edible ink cartridges when the cleaner cartridge is in the computer? Dont they dry out?? I hate mine!!!!!! I can print an image then a day later waste more ink on test sheets after I clean the thing!!! Im going crazy with this edible stuff!!!!!!!!

Sandylee05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandylee05 Posted 13 May 2008 , 3:24pm
post #12 of 15

Are you saying that if I buy the cleaner cartridge my heads won't clog up anymore? Do I have to "clean" the heads with the cleaner cart.? Do I still rinse the print head with hot water after I print a picture?
I'm tired of spending an hour (or two) trying to get the page to print. 90% of the ink is going on test papers.

Thank you,
Sandy

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:45pm
post #13 of 15

I gave up completely on my printer (anyone want to buy a cannon printer with a clogged printer head?) It was just not worth it. I now order all my edible images online. Has saved me a fortune in ink and hours trying to clean the stupid thing.

jessienj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessienj Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:00pm
post #14 of 15

I have a Canon and always had problems with my yellow being clogged. I had tried just about everything to no avail, and I didnt want to spent the $$ on the steam cleaner that kopykake sells. So instead, I took my airbrush and filled it with pretty hot water and airbrushed under the printhead where the ink comes out. I did that a couple of times and voila, no more clogged yellow. I had already tried soaking the printhead in the cleaner, alcohol, everything and anything and this was the only thing that worked.

BahaQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BahaQueen Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 4:30pm
post #15 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessienj 

I have a Canon and always had problems with my yellow being clogged. I had tried just about everything to no avail, and I didnt want to spent the $$ on the steam cleaner that kopykake sells. So instead, I took my airbrush and filled it with pretty hot water and airbrushed under the printhead where the ink comes out. I did that a couple of times and voila, no more clogged yellow. I had already tried soaking the printhead in the cleaner, alcohol, everything and anything and this was the only thing that worked.

OMG thank you for this post so many years ago! I too have the Canon and the YELLOW is clogged...unfortunately I do not have an airbrush but do understand that some pressure and pretty hot water plays a huge part in this resolve.  Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%