Grainey Buttercream

Decorating By deena1987 Updated 5 May 2008 , 5:23pm by keconnell08

deena1987 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deena1987 Posted 4 May 2008 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 5

I made a 2 batches of wilton's buttercream but added dreamwhip into it last weekend it came out awful. I had to throw it all away. Then made another 2 batches without dreamwhip and it wasn't as grainey but not completely smooth either. I ran out of icing and just needed a little more for decorations so I made 1 more batch but didn't beat it as long. I just mixed until all was incorporated and used it . This one was smooth and crusted really well so am I mixing too long or was it a fluke. I made another batch same way last night and it looks like it is separating and grainey again and will not crust. I let it mix for a while so am I mixing too long. I am using the new crisco. I only do as a hobby so I really don't want to order the Hi-Ratio since I don't get paid for alot of my cakes. Any advice will be helpful. Thanks.

4 replies
kellygray79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellygray79 Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:26am
post #2 of 5

I have made batches of icing from time to time that have come out grainey I had used the Crisco shortening and did probably mix longer than I should have - I even had a batch of icing come out looking like oatmeal. I do this as a hobby too and try to keep costs low but have definitely found that the hi ratio shortening is well worth the cost. I only use the hi ratio shortening now and I use sugarshack's buttercream recipe. I charge my cakes out at cost and just keep in the back of my mind that if they really like the cake they'll consider the time involved and kick in a little tip for me. If it is a small cake I just add to the cost for 1/2 a tub of the hi ratio shortening or more if it is a larger cake. It has worked out well so far. Maybe this will help. Happy Baking!

thecakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:32am
post #3 of 5

lots of people talk about having bad results with crisco, have you tried any other brands? I use the store brand here and it works great, plus its cheaper! hth

deena1987 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deena1987 Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:37am
post #4 of 5

Actually the first batch was made with store brand shortening with the trans fat still in it. I have used it before and it has been fine. I usually beat the butter and shortening until it's whipped good and then put in the powdered sugar and beat for a time longer. It usually takes around 30 minutes. I guess I think I have to beat it to death or something.

keconnell08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keconnell08 Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 5

I use half butter and half crisco. I also use India Tree Fondant & Icing Sugar.

"India Tree Fondant & Icing Sugar is pulverized to 1/100th the size of normal powdered sugar grains. Decorate all of your desserts with India Tree Fondant & Icing Sugar
Especially formulated for the baking trade, it produces smoother and glossier icings and fondants than can be achieved with regular powdered sugar"

I always get great smooth results. The sugar is a bit $$$ though.

Karen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%