Stacking Cakes Smoothly

Decorating By kimkake Updated 4 May 2008 , 8:08pm by vdrsolo

kimkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimkake Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 9

Hi - new to this site and its awesome!! How do you stack a wedding cake tier on top of the other one without ruining the sides of the cake - meaning, how do you "drop" on tier on top of the other. My fingers always get in the bottom sides and then theres so much work to do onsite.
THANKS!!

8 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 9

i use a method where the dowels stay sticking up a bit, and then you place the upper tier on them and let it sink down. no finger marks!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 4 May 2008 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 9

Sharon has a great DVD out on stacking....check it out!

Jen icon_smile.gif

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 4 May 2008 , 6:14pm
post #4 of 9

I have to 2nd Jen's suggestion:

I've gotten each of Sharon's DVDs and they are worth their weight in gold !! Start with the " Perfecting the Art of Buttercream" and "Flawless Fondant," which are the foundations for ALL you'll need in the future. thumbs_up.gif

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 4 May 2008 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 9

I just hold the cake underneath and quickly slip my fingers out and let the cake fall. If the area is straight the cake should fall straight down. The secret is to do it fast don't hesitate.

kimkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimkake Posted 4 May 2008 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 9

Wow - that is weird - I just ordered Perfecting the Art of Buttercream and recieved and watched it yesterday - I didn't know there were additional videos by Sharon - THANKS FOR REPLYING PERSONALLY!!
I will be ordering Successful Stacking today!!

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 4 May 2008 , 6:44pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for the dowel rod tip. I will try this next time. It seems so much easier than how i have done it in the past!

born2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake Posted 4 May 2008 , 6:53pm
post #8 of 9

There is a very good video on youtube from Epicurous.com about stacking cakes. The title is "Assembling a Wedding Cake". I'm going to try this when I due my 3 tiered cake in June. Please let me know if you try it and if it works for you.

B2B

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 4 May 2008 , 8:08pm
post #9 of 9

I don't use wooden dowels, so my method is a little bit different.

I use Bakery Craft SPS which has the support legs locked into the plate that the tier rests on.

I put both hands under the cake (the sides) to transfer it over, I set one edge of the cake down onto the plate, and slide it into place until the hole punched in the cardboard is even with the plate "nub". (I take a bright red sharpie to the bottom of my cake board so I can see the "bull's eye"). I then replace my hand with a large icing spatula to gently drop the cake onto the plate.

I really like this system because as long as the plate is centered, your cake will definitely be centered! No worry of having to move the cake if it did not drop in center (don't scoot a cake against dowels, you can grab the dowel and scoot it with the cake....causing the dowel to lean)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%