Michele Foster's Fondant

Decorating By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 5 May 2008 , 10:40pm by CristinaB

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 May 2008 , 8:23am
post #1 of 17

Can i use it to make decorations, to mold or is it just for covering cakes? does it dry hard?

thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
practiceandpatience Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
practiceandpatience Posted 4 May 2008 , 12:36pm
post #2 of 17

I use Michele Foster's fondant for everything.
In the following cake the baby, baby blanket and the teddy bear are
Michele Foster Fondant
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1204067.html

and in this cake, I used it for the bible cover, the pages, the ribbon and the chalice and host
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1216513.html

Michele Foster fondant is very versatile, and is great to work with!
It seldom sticks to my work station and seems to rip less than others!
good luck

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 17

I use it for everything as well. I will add tylose powder to it if I need extra strength, firmness, or harder drying.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 17

thanks guys!

have you tried making it with non-gelatin stuff? you know the ones that are from plants instead of animals? those are cheaper here.

is knox the best brand for this?

alanahodgson Posted 4 May 2008 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 17

I've not tried the plant based gelatin stuff. I usually use store brand gelatin, or I've also purchased it from the bulk food store. I can't get over how expensive gelatin is!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 4 May 2008 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 17

Its one of the best recipes for fondant Ive come across. It tastes great also!
If you need extra strength to it add tylose or gum trag and it works well. If your using it for modeling i would suggest 50/50 gumpaste/fondant. Especially for figurines or structures that you need it the strength for.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 May 2008 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanahodgson

I've not tried the plant based gelatin stuff. I usually use store brand gelatin, or I've also purchased it from the bulk food store. I can't get over how expensive gelatin is!

tell me about it! the only reason am considering using agar agar is because Knox is expensive here since it's imported from the US. the price of the agar agar is not even 1/10 of the real gelatin. icon_sad.gif

alanahodgson Posted 4 May 2008 , 8:31pm
post #8 of 17

Wow! I wouldn't even know where to look for agar agar here. Certainly can't walk into a local grocery store and pick it up. Where is Pinas. I have no clue. How ignorant I am!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:00am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanahodgson

Wow! I wouldn't even know where to look for agar agar here. Certainly can't walk into a local grocery store and pick it up. Where is Pinas. I have no clue. How ignorant I am!

It's the Philippines. icon_biggrin.gif

I went ahead and bought Knox. can i ask how many oz per pack of gelatin? I bought a box of 4 with a net weight of 28 grams.

alanahodgson Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:14am
post #10 of 17

Oh! I think 28 grams is 1 oz. I've found that I have to measure my gelatin rather than just throwing in the packs suggested in the recipe because my packs were not measuring the same.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:55pm
post #11 of 17

oh my icon_sad.gif and how much is needed for the recipe? it says 3 envelops or 6 teaspoons but i'd hate to open each envelop and measure by the teaspoon. so how much is 1 envelop usually?

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 5 May 2008 , 9:42pm
post #12 of 17

I checked my cupboard and my gelatin was dated March 2008. Will it still be ok to use or is it time to throw it out? Also, is it possible to turn the fondant into chocolate fondant?

alanahodgson Posted 5 May 2008 , 9:59pm
post #13 of 17

I don't know what to tell you about your gelatin. Michele recommends adding 1 cup of chocolate chips to the melted liquid in her recipe to make chocolate fondant.

lmn4881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmn4881 Posted 5 May 2008 , 10:17pm
post #14 of 17

Where can you buy gelatin?

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 5 May 2008 , 10:21pm
post #15 of 17

Health food stores will have gelatin and probably agar agar. I have never tried agar agar, but if it's cheaper, then it might be worth a try. Look in better nails sections for bottles of gelatin. It's much cheaper and easier to measure.

For agar agar, it might be in the baking section for use with gluten free recipes. It might be best to just ask someone who works there.

HTH

Michele

micnmax2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micnmax2003 Posted 5 May 2008 , 10:27pm
post #16 of 17

is the recipe for Michelle fosters fondant here on CC....I did a recipe search and got nothing.
Can someone point me in the right direction...thanks!

CristinaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%