Quick Question Re: Brushing Simple Syrup On Cake

Decorating By Sugar_Plum_Fairy Updated 5 May 2008 , 12:37pm by msthang1224

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 4 May 2008 , 4:13am
post #1 of 15

I'm planning on using a simple syrup on a cake that I'd like to freeze for a few days. Do I brush the cake with the syrup before freezing or after it's thawed out?

Thanks for any help.

14 replies
Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 4 May 2008 , 4:57am
post #2 of 15

I'm no cake guru and someone else may have a different opinion but I usually do mine after it's defrosted. I don't want it to get soggy or if you're using the syrup to enhance the flavor I like it to be fresh. HTH

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 4 May 2008 , 5:04am
post #3 of 15

Before then freeze.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 4 May 2008 , 5:21am
post #4 of 15

Honestly, I've done both and it turns out fine either way! Good luck icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 4 May 2008 , 6:02am
post #5 of 15

Thanks for the advice, all! I'll brush them with the syrup then wrap them up and freeze! icon_smile.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 4 May 2008 , 7:16am
post #6 of 15

Not sure about before or after - all I know is that I read to make sure your cake layers defrost before you unwrap them so you don't lose all the moisture.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 4 May 2008 , 1:49pm
post #7 of 15

Thanks, CakeDiva, I've frozen cakes before, but I usually don't use syrup on them so I just needed to know about the before or after part. lol

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:55am
post #8 of 15

I used syrup one time and the cake ended up too sweet, did I do something wrong?, it was a simple syrup recipe I got from the food network, you know, sugar, water and kalhua. The syrup tasted great by itself but in the cake ...... thumbsdown.gif I mean it was really moist but super sweet. Is there a special syrup to use on cakes? I am totally lost. icon_redface.gif

MollyBea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyBea Posted 5 May 2008 , 1:30am
post #9 of 15

This may be a crazy question, but I am so new at this. Please tell me why you would brush a cake with syrup?

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 5 May 2008 , 1:46am
post #10 of 15

miny, obviously by adding any sugar you're going to add sweetness, so you have to take that into account when you want to add it what kind of cake you're making and how sweet it is to begin with.

The main reason for brushing your cake with the syrup is to add extra flavor and make or keep the cake moist, MollyBea. Welcome to the board!!

miny Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:40am
post #11 of 15

I had a cake already made when I decided to add the syrup and never thought about it but you are right Sugar_plum_fairy I need to take that into consideration icon_redface.gif , as you can tell I'm kinda new at this so let me ask you, if I decide to use syrup again do I cut the sugar out of the bread?, all of it or some?, would it affect the final cake?, you know since baking is a chemical reaction I wonder if I take it out of the recipe would it come still nice and fluffy?, sorry I don't want to overwhelm you with so many questions but I need to learn and you guys at CC are so good at baking and decorating that I have to put myself under your wing sort of speak. icon_lol.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:06am
post #12 of 15

Unfortunately when it comes to the science and chemical reactions involved in baking, I'm at somewhat of a loss. Before I realized how much of baking is a science I always tried to 'be good' and use less sugar. Even though I know it makes a difference now that I've 'been educated', I still can't seem to stop my habit of adding less sugar that what a recipe calls for. So that's part of my solution.

Also, not all cakes need to have the syrup added. Generally I do it when it's called for in a recipe. Other things that some people do is to brush their cakes with just the liqueur or even coffee, again depending on the type of cake.

Hopefully somebody else will be able to give you better advice. I'm more of a "stick to the recipe" kind of baker (with the exception of sugar icon_smile.gif ). There are plenty of bakers here that like to tweak recipes and are more involved, or at least understand, the scientific aspects. I'll graciously defer to their knowledge and wisdom on this.

miny Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:10am
post #13 of 15

Yeah you are right, I'm also lost in this subject I thought on adding syrup because if I added the kalhua straight I thought it will be very strong of a flavor and if I diluted it with water I thought it'll be to "wet" for the cake and I was just imagining it leaking out of my cake! or maybe being tasteless and gross?, I hope somebody can help me with this because it started as a general inquire and now it's a burning concern! Lol icon_confused.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:20am
post #14 of 15

miny, why not start a post to ask your question? Just start it under the correct topic. Offhand I would think it should go under "How to....", but see if there's another one more appropriate (I'm tired and not thinking too straight right now). lol icon_lol.gif

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:37pm
post #15 of 15

Maybe it was the amount of kahlua to sugar and that's why it came out so sweet, not sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%