Thinking About A Cake Decorating Job

Decorating By Texas_Rose Updated 4 May 2008 , 4:17am by jklm3721

Texas_Rose Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:41am
post #1 of 4

I've been thinking about looking for a cake decorating job for a while now. I saw an ad today and I was about to respond to it and for some reason I'm suffering from a lack of self confidence. The job is at a small custom bakery.

The ad said "experienced" I've been decorating cakes at home for about 7 or 8 years now, but I've never taken any classes. I have pictures of some of my cakes...would that count for experience, do you think? I have them on but I also have two "adult" cakes there, should I take those down before I put the link in my response to the job ad?

And for those who have worked as cake decorators before, is it a lot different from doing it at home, or is it basically the same? I've seen ads for cake decorators for some of the grocery stores here and some of their requirements sound really out there (for example, one store here was looking for a decorator who could lift a minimum of 50 lbs and prepare 150 different pastries from scratch, all for the bargain price of $9 an hour.) I'm not 18 anymore and I wouldn't want to be lugging around 50 lb sacks all day icon_lol.gif

3 replies
Cassie2500 Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:53am
post #2 of 4

Yes!! Go ahead and apply for the job! You never know if you will get the job until you try! So what if you haven't taken any classes? Your cakes are so good, they look professional! I don't see why they wouldn't hire you.

2Cupcakes Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:54am
post #3 of 4

From looking at your website, I think you have the skills. As for the lifting, I think that is just something you'd have to talk to this particular bakery about.

I would give it a shot. It can't hurt to at least find out more about the job. If you don't, you might always wonder "what if?"

jklm3721 Posted 4 May 2008 , 4:17am
post #4 of 4

I have taken classes and my cakes are not anywhere near as good as yours!!!

Definitely go for the job.....if they don't hire you, they're the ones missing out!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%