Royal Icing Monogram?

Decorating By dtmc Updated 4 May 2008 , 12:21pm by suzylynn58

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 4 May 2008 , 2:43am
post #1 of 5

HI all-

I have a cake to do in two weeks with a personalized monogram that the bride had someone hand draw in calligraphy. It actual doesn't look that much like calligraphy but more of a scroll like font. Anyhow, the bride wants this piped on the cake exactly. So we came up together of me piping it in royal icing on a fondant plaque and then surrounding it in fondant flowers...the plaque anyway. My question is....how to achieve this ahead of time and make the fondant plaque moldable to the cake??? I also will need to pipe the monogram on parchment or wax paper to match the special monogram...so how do I transfer this to the fondant plaque? HELP!

4 replies
deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:10am
post #2 of 5

Ok.....I am not sure if I am going to be any help as I am sure there are more out there who might know a different technique. I would actually trace the monogram on some type of wax paper. Then once it is traced, I would lay this over the fondant plaque that has been pre-cut to the final shape. I would then take a corsage pin and poke holes through the paper insuring that I poke deep enough to transfer the design onto the plaque. Once that is done, I would then take the outline and pipe royal over it to achieve the monogrammed look. To dry, I would place on the side of a cake pan so that it drys with a natural curve and can be placed on the cake easily....

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 4 May 2008 , 4:00am
post #3 of 5

I would do the same thing. But I would put the "plaque" on the side of the cake pan first before piping the monogram.

Post a pic when you're done, I would like to see it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 May 2008 , 11:54am
post #4 of 5

They are right onicon_smile.gif
One alternate method would be to cover the font w/plastic wrap; trace in royal and let dry. They apply this to the plaque. It depends on the font if this would work out w/o breakage. Once it is dry, turn it over & pipe it again for strength.

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 4 May 2008 , 12:21pm
post #5 of 5

If you have a dummy in the size of the layer it will be on, you could use that to mold the plaque.

Susan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%