Frosting The Corners

Decorating By JennaK Updated 4 May 2008 , 3:12pm by SeriousCakes

JennaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaK Posted 4 May 2008 , 1:47am
post #1 of 8

I am having a hard time getting my corners on a sheet cake to look smooth and pretty. icon_mad.gif
Any tips?

7 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:22am
post #2 of 8

When I get ready to 'round a corner' icon_lol.gif I use extra and take the side of an offset spatula and go at a sharp right angle without touching the cake. Then after it dries a bit, I take Viva/parchment and a mini roller to tighten up those corners....it is the only way I am able to do square cakes.

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:55am
post #3 of 8

Sugarshack has a DVD on perfect buttercream that is wonderful! I can't tell you how shocked I was that I was doing it completely WRONG this whole time!! icon_redface.gif

Seriously, First ice the top of the cake. Then, the way she does it is to ice the sides really well. Lots of icing. Then take a bench scraper (she also sells these on her website), hold it parallel to the corner, right at the corner and pull the scraper gently back towards yourself. It kind of hard to describe with out seeing it. If you have the time, it's well worth the money! You just won't believe how much you will learn!

And then I agree about the Viva.

~Mindy

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:58am
post #4 of 8

Oh, Sugarshack's dvd makes is soooooooo much easier!!!!! Definitely worth EVERY penny. i can't stress it enough! But pile the icing on very high on top of the corners so you'll have enough on there when you scrape away.

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 4 May 2008 , 4:21am
post #5 of 8

Here is an article on cc that I have used many times. Hope this helps
http://www.cakecentral.com/article51-How-To-Frost-a-Square-Cake.html

Oh, and sugarshack's video rocks! Best cake tool I ever bought icon_smile.gif

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 4 May 2008 , 4:24am
post #6 of 8

Here's a video I have on youtube:

Hope this helps icon_biggrin.gif

alisoncooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisoncooks Posted 4 May 2008 , 11:55am
post #7 of 8

Corners have been the bane of my cake existence. The youtube video is very helpful! I've seen a similar one somewhere before but I enjoyed watching this one anyway icon_smile.gif I'll probably watch it again once I'm needed to do a cake with corners.

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Quote:

Corners have been the bane of my cake existence

icon_lol.gif I just used this line in a video I posted last night!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%